Thoughts on squirrel species... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:52 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thoughts on squirrel species...

Buck hunting is my passion, but squirrel hunting is my obsession.
I hate red squirrels.The kind you find near pines. I hate that they are mean and territorial . I hate when they bark and they always try to mess up my buck hunting. I get a special satisfaction from blasting them, unlike greys and fox's, I will use a 12 guage on them and smile while doing it.
Fox squirrels to me are the dumb ones. I have no respect for them, and love that they can get so big that you don't need many for good pot pies. I use only .22 for these guys.
Greys are the only squirrel I respect. They are quiet, sneaky, and challenging for me. I only use a .22 for them and I try to spot and stalk, not sit on a stand by home trees etc.
so I say Red's= bad, deserve to die.
fox squirrels= dumb, meaty.
Grey squirrel= good, challenging.
Is this just a regional thing? I have had others tell me that the red's near them are timid, the fox's are the brutes and the greys are dumb...
Any thoughts, or should I just quit with my squirrel analysis and go hunt some more in the morning? A friend of mine in connequenesing has had a white squirrel sighting on his property and has given me the green light to harvest it as long as I get it mounted. wish me luck- I have had a white squirrel on my bucket list for 12 years and only seen one 4 years ago at about 150 yards that i couldnt take (i use open sights on paps old .22).

<span style="font-weight: bold">BuckNinja</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Dan</span> 2B Archery, 1A Firearms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Thoughts on squirrel species...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
I would think a squirrel pie would be on the menu today.

Life Member NAHC

Garrett AT PRO

USN 1964-1985

Prostate Cancer Survivor
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 10:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Happy Birthday.
Like you squirrel hunting is an obsession with me.
I would never shoot any squirrel with a shotgun because I only use my shotgun for waterfowl. I have found the red squirrel to be the hardest one to get. I only try for them if they will make a grandslam for that day. I pass on most of the greys I see because they are to small and they will bring other squirrels out. Foxs are hard to get to come out of the trees .
They seem to remember you are there the longest or leave the area when spooked.
I was out squirrel hunting all day Tuesday and saw 30 squirrels. I shot 5 out of those 30. Three were fox and two were grey. I couldn't get a good shot at a red to make a grandslam. The reds were not counted in the 30 squirrels I saw.
I rate them like this.
Red squirrel- the hardest one to get
Grey squirrel- easy pickings but not big enough
Fox squirrel- the one that I pefer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Had to come to work for a little bit, then I am off to the woods. Gonna start off squirrelin if the weather lets me and switch to does later on. Saved some backstrap for my birthday feast this evening!

<span style="font-weight: bold">BuckNinja</span> - <span style="font-style: italic">Dan</span> 2B Archery, 1A Firearms
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:18 PM
Regular Visitor

They all tastes great and Mepps lure cmpany pays you a small amount for tails. Fox are my favorite to hunt though
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i leave the red's alone. too small to eat and i won't kill something i don't eat unless its a varmint. i like their attitude anyway. my area has few foxes, so when i see them i usually leave them alone to breed. i think they are one of the prettiest animals in the woods. the greys are the king in my woods. very wary and hard to hit with a 22. i don't hunt them with a shotgun anymore because of the damage.

My diploma is a DD Form 214
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 12:12 AM
Frequent Contributor

I hate red squirrels. Do a lot of damage to my uncle's property. I always shoot them when near housing developments or on my uncles property. I have a nickname for red squirrels that I would share but it would just get me in trouble. Love grey and fox squirrels though.

Pennsylvania State University
Forest Ecosystems Management 2017
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:17 AM

From a squirreldog hunters observations.

Reds-never ate one used to shoot them and give them to my neighbor when we were young. Spunky little things that are high-strung and think they can take on the world. I don't see many of them any more and haven't shot one in years. Never ate one. Not much to them. Nobody to give them to and not many of them around here any more so I don't shoot them and actually my dogs have never treed one and they have treed a flying squirrel in the daytime.

Greys- good eating. They will timber out of a tree sometimes when my dog trees them. I don't know what it is some days you will find a lot of them the dogs tree and some days you will get mostly den trees. They can give the dog a challange and I have no idea how the dog finds the right tree. They can hide real good. I can't tell you how many times I have given up looking then the grey decides it is gonna timber out. Secret is don't look for a squirrel look for a tail. A person without a dog could walk by grey squirrels all day and never see one of them.

Fox squirrels- real easy with a dog. They don't timber near as much and are a lot easier to find when the dog trees them. They are good eating but require more pan time or parboiling that a grey squirrel. Lots of meat on them though. If you tree one and it isn't a den tree they are not near as likely to timber out otherwords easy for a squirreldog and usually easier to find in the tree.

People who don't eat squirrel don't know what they are missing. Here is how I do it. I clean mine and kind of quarter them more like (well if you are counting more like seventh them)- cut off the front legs behind the shoulder blades (you can feel them and cut them off with a knife without cutting through bone), cut off the head with a pair of meat sissors, cut the spine from behind one of the last rib (this piece really doesn't have a lot of meat and includes the ribs), use your meat sissors and cut down one side of the ribs so as to make this piece into two with one being basically just some rib bones and meat, now cut as near to the hind quartes as possible ( this is a choice piece of meat it includes the "backstrap" of the squirrel), then what you have left is the hind quarters (of which you should have already removed what I call the [censored] guts), take those hind quarters and cut right down the center of them with a pair of meat sissors. Rinse all the parts good and make sure there isn't any hair on them and if you use a shotgun try to get all the BB's out. Put all the days parts in a pan filled with water. Put salt and or baking soda in the water. Throw them in the fridge for a day or so. Clean off or cut off any bloody parts and drain the water. Check for hair and BB's and remove them. Put them back in the pan with some more water, salt, and/or baking soda for another day or so. Drain the water. Rinse the parts and inspect them for hair and BB's again. Make sure you have taken care of all the bloody spots. Put the parts in a freezer bag and remove all the air out of the bag. Freeze the parts. When you get enough of them you can use them in your favorite recipe for squirrel. I have to tell you wings don't have anything over squirrel that is frozen like this. By the time the squirrel hits the freezer bag you are gonna say man that looks like some good meat and it actually is some ofthe best meat and most healthy meat that you are ever going to eat.

Choice parts are the hind quarters and the backstrap part but all of them are good if prepared right. Censored part was't a swear word but I am guessing a lot of you know what I call it. It is spelled kind of like canal without the c. Oh yea, when you clean it cut off that tail you don't need any tail pieces in them hind quarters.

Cooking the squirrel- well my wife does that. She rolls them in flour and salt and pepper and browns them then adds water to the pan and simmers them for a good amount of time and they melt in your mouth. I have to agree with a lot of the methods. You can parboil them then roll them in flour and fry them. You can roll them in flour and brown them then put them in the oven. Brown them then low and slow seems to be the answer but if you ever ate squirrel that was cleaned as described above and cooked browned then low and slow you sure aren't gonna make fun of anyone who eats squirrel because it is one of the best eating meats on God's green earth if done properly.

Sorry long winded and off the point but hey if it keeps a fellow in the woods or helps him out it was worth it.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2013, 04:18 PM
The Man

I love squirrel hunting as much as deer hunting, maybe even
more. I don't have fox squirrels in my area so not gonna
comment on them. I would like to shoot one someday though.
Reds- Little, noisy and can be rather annoying at times.
Mostly shoot them in pines or hickory trees near pines. I
shoot them whenever I get the chance.
Greys- My favorite of the two in my neck of the woods. They
are more cautious and will be quiet most of the time. They
do sit in the tree tops and bark once a hunter is spotted.
They are much better eating. I use .17hmr, .22lr, or a
shotgun. It just depends what I am in the mood to use.

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 11:59 AM

Wow I said my dog never treed a red squirrel and they never did until yesterday. Didn't find a grey in any trees but treed two red squirrels on the same day for the first time. I did shoot one. I didn't know it was a red. It was way at the top of a tree out on the limbs and I couldn't tell it was a red until I shot it. It ended up being a sticker. It fell out of the tree and got hung up in a fork of another tree branch. That doesn't really happen very often and usually if it does I can manage to get them out.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page