Gameland 117 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Gameland 117

Hey everyone. Hunted a lot before college and decided to get back into it. I've moved since then to allegheny county and plan on hunting SGL 117 as it seems to have the most space. I'm gonna head there Saturday and would love a little help to point me in the right direction for some small game mostly squirrels. As always if anyone one is free and looking for a hunting partner that's great to. Any help is appreciated as this will be my first time not hunting where I grew up about an hour north in ford city. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Gameland 117

Dont know that SGL or what game you are pursuing but the best thing to do is get out and hunt. Great time of year to be in the out of doors. If your quarry is not bagged you will no doubt find a spot that you will want to return to on the following hunt. Best of luck to you. Let us know how you fair.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

That's what I'm thinking as well at the very worst I'll get a good hike. 117 is by burgettstown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 07:31 PM
Part of the Community

haven't hunted it this year but it gets hit pretty hard remember it's roosters only, there is a lot of ground you can cover...good luck!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-30-2013, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I'm really looking for squirrels or a rabbit or two. Is this the wrong place in the area. If so does anyone have a better recommendation?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:35 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Kellar,
Even though I graduated from Freeport, I'll set aside old grudges and give you the lowdown.

SGL 117 and the adjoining Hillman State Park, which is managed as a game lands by the PGC, are mostly reclaimed strip mines. As a result, they're mainly grassy or brushy fields, and pole to slightly larger stage timber. They stock a lot of ringnecks there and there are a good number of turkeys too.

The brushy fields are decent, but not great for bunnies. I usually kick out one or two each time I'm bird hunting, including last Saturday. You can pick out the brushiest fields on Google Maps.

There aren't many large areas of mature mast trees to chase squirrels. My suggestion would be to try along Knowles Road, off of Old Steubenville Pike. There are a couple of stands of mature trees there that might produce some nut munchers for you.

A better recommendation for squirrels is to go about 10 minutes north on Rt. 18 then Rt. 168 to Raccoon Creek State Park. Lots of big, old mast trees crawling with squirrels. My son and I hunt there a couple times a year and rarely have to wait more than 15 or 20 minutes to see one.

Good luck to you. Make the Allegheny Valley proud.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Awesome advice and much appreciated! Ill let you know how it goes. Good luck this weekend if you make it out
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2013, 02:11 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

No problem. I'll be interested to hear how it goes. Hopefully the wind will die down for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in