Best Opening Day Ever - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Best Opening Day Ever

I know folks here are excited about the opening of pheasant season. As for me, I'm a huge fan of pheasant hunting. I realize that in PA they are stocked, but it's still a great opportunity to get in the fields with friends and the dogs (one my say my two best friends are my dogs...). After been cooped up in an office, I like the idea of walking the fields for a few hours. Of course it's fun to bag your limit for the day, but I'd be happy just to rustle up a few and take some shots. My thanks to the Game Commission and the support provided by Pheasants Forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Re: Best Opening Day Ever

Oh, I'm also anxious to see how my #5 shot works. Last year (my first year of in the field) I was using 7 1/2 shot. I did some reading on ammo and the recommendation seems to be 5 or 6 shot. I know, if you are accurate, it shouldn't matter. But let's be honest, if we were that great at shooting, we wouldn't be using shotguns now would we? I think that I could use my 17 rimfire, but unless the bird is on the ground, I wouldn't stand a chance.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 11:57 PM

Pheasant hunting with my old man when I turned 12 was teh best thing ever. Sure I enjoyed deer hunting, but there was just something about walking those hedgerows. Stocked or not, it hooked me and I am still addicted. PGC is doing a great job with teh stocking increase. PF is doing great things as well.

I've always used the #6 until a few years ago. Now I buy bulk for everything. Quail, grouse, dove and pheasant all drop to a well placed shot of 7 1/2.

Many people each year take upland birds and waterfowl with a bow and arrow.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I know, it's not the shot #, it's the shooter. I have to get out and shoot some clays. I'm terrible at leading.

My father was a big hunter and would have loved it if I was into it when he was alive. He lived in another state and I received a few of his guns a last year, 16 years after his passing. I decided that I wanted to give it a try. My step-mother got his 1950's era double barrel shotgun restored for me, to my surprise. The gun is a beautiful piece of work and it reminds me of him every time I'm in the field.

You are fortunate to have those memories of you and your father. It's priceless.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtse
I know, it's not the shot #, it's the shooter. I have to get out and shoot some clays. I'm terrible at leading.

My father was a big hunter and would have loved it if I was into it when he was alive. He lived in another state and I received a few of his guns a last year, 16 years after his passing. I decided that I wanted to give it a try. My step-mother got his 1950's era double barrel shotgun restored for me, to my surprise. The gun is a beautiful piece of work and it reminds me of him every time I'm in the field.

You are fortunate to have those memories of you and your father. It's priceless.
Well good luck to you. Stick with it and dont get discouraged. It will take some effort as with any new endeavor. Many on here can give good advice.
Regards
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:05 PM

I used to love small game hunting. Back when my grandfather was alive and my father still hunted and it was worth the effort. Now I have several shotguns that never leave the cabinet.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danesdad
I used to love small game hunting. Back when my grandfather was alive and my father still hunted and it was worth the effort. Now I have several shotguns that never leave the cabinet.
Perhaps you might consider parting with one or two?

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

It actually did turn out to be a good opening day. Perfect fall morning with my buddy and his boy. We missed the first bird but I tagged the second which was a hen. One of my goldens went into the woods faster than I would have guessed. I thought it would be a pain to find it in the woods. He brought it out in seconds! The boy got a shot off at one more in some thickets but missed. He's of course blaming his gun.

We all had a good time and when we were leaving I asked the boy what he had learned. He understands that he and I both need to practice so that we have more success in the field!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 04:57 PM

That's great to hear. taking a youngster into the field is a vrey admirable thing to do. Memories last a lifetime! Great day indeed.

I also had a good first day. First time for me in 10 years to go out opening day. My dog performed well and we put up 3 hens and 3 roosters. Can't shoot hens here and 2 rooster ran and flushed out of range. The third rooster would have been a perfect shot, but I was on the phone. I was watching the dog working the field, but he wasn't real birdy. He snapped onto a point and the rooster flushed. I dropped the phone, but the rooster was behind trees and out of range before I could do much else.

Found a dead one on the way in. Looked ok so I picked it up and took it home. No sense in letting it go to waste.

Beautiful morning, good dog work, and a few cackles made it all worth it for me.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-26-2013, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hey, I'm glad that you were able to get today. Just seeing them fly is an incredible sight and it always gets my heart racing.

Lucky find on the bird in the field. Someone obviously hit it but either couldn't find it when it dropped or they lost sight of it when it had just a bit more gas. We saw a dead rooster placed on top of a bird house which was certainly odd.

I've been to the Adams county SGL and really like the layout but I have only seen a few there off in the distance. I will be back there at some point this season.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page