Can I train on Released Pheasants today?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Can I train on Released Pheasants today??

Wonder if I could take the dogs out to the game land and work a couple birds before the season opens tomorrow?

Little pre season warm up before the madness
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 01:33 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Can I train on Released Pheasants today??

No.

Technically it is a violation to train on released game birds (pheasant and/or quail) unless under permit (field trial, dog training, etc.) or it is done during the established season and you follow bag limits (assuming you shoot them). Dog training on SGL during the entire month of October is prohibited.

to warm barrels and cold noses
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Take a shotgun with 8-shot and "hunt" woodcock. Who knows, you might actually stumble upon an early flight bird.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Well the book states that there is no closed season for dog training. Dog training on SGL are only closed from the Monday prior to the start of youth pheasant until the close of youth pheasant.

The way I read it, their is not a problem with it. Just wanted to see what others thought.

Im not carrying a gun, just taking the dog out to find some birds.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Maybe Ill just hunt grouse and woodcock today anyways
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 02:05 PM

They've never passed a woodcock cover they wouldn't dump some phez in.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The book should be updated. Read Executive Bird Order below (in effect since Jan 2009). So yes there is a problem with it.

The PGC stocks birds for hunter enjoyment. They don't stock them for guys to train dogs on. Leave the birds alone and hunt em up tomorrow. Your tuning up should be done already.

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA
PENNSYLVANIA GAME COMMISSION

AUTHORIZATION TO RELEASE CAPTIVE BIRDS
ON STATE GAME LANDS

ORDER

WHEREAS, The Pennsylvania Game Commission (Commission) has determined that the hunting and/or training of dogs on artificially propagated live birds is a wholesome activity enjoyed by many thousands of Pennsylvanians; and
WHEREAS, Section 102 of the Game and Wildlife Code (hereinafter Game Code) defines, inter alia, pheasants, bobwhite quail and chukar partridges as "wild birds" (34 Pa.C.S. § 102 (relating to definitions));
WHEREAS, Section 2303 of the Agricultural Code generally defines, inter alia, rock pigeons (a.k.a. rock doves) as a "domestic animal" (3 Pa.C.S. § 2303 (relating to definitions));
WHEREAS, Section 137.2(a) of the Pennsylvania Code specifically authorizes the release of captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail and chukar partridges on public (other than state game lands) or private lands for dog training and/or hunting purposes (58 Pa. Code § 137.2(a)); and
WHEREAS, Section 135.41(c)(13) of the Pennsylvania Code specifically prohibits the release of captive bred or captive raised wildlife or domestic animals on state game lands without the express written permission of the Director (58 Pa. Code § 135.41(c)(13)); and
WHEREAS, The Commission recognizes that state game lands provide some of the best upland bird habitat found within the Commonwealth suitable for the hunting and/or training of dogs on artificially propagated live birds; and
WHEREAS, The Commission has recognized a growing interest in the public's ability to utilize state game lands for the release of captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar partridges and rock pigeons for hunting and/or dog training purposes; and
WHEREAS, The Commission is aware of no scientific evidence indicating that the release of healthy captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar partridges and rock pigeons into the wild poses any significant threat to the health and wellbeing of the Commonwealth's wildlife resources and/or their respective habitats; and
WHEREAS, The Game Code (34 Pa.C.S. §§ 101 et seq.) and its attendant regulations (58 Pa. Code §§ 131.1 et seq.) collectively provide broad authority to the Commission to regulate activities relating to the protection, preservation and management of all game and wildlife and their respective habitats (C.f. 34 Pa.C.S. §§ 322, 2101 and 2102); and
WHEREAS, In an effort to support and encourage the hunting and/or training of dogs on artificially propagated live birds, the Commission has determined that it is willing to relax regulatory restrictions on the release of captive bred or captive raised wildlife or domestic animals on state game lands by providing the following express written permission to specifically authorize the release of captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar partridges and rock pigeons on state game lands for hunting and/or dog training purposes; and
NOW THEREFORE, I, Carl G. Roe, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Game Commission, pursuant to the authority vested in me by the Game Code and its attendant regulations, do hereby authorize the release of captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar partridges and rock pigeons on state game lands for hunting and/or dog training purposes as follows:
1. Only licensed hunters or persons acting under the authority of a valid field dog trial permit shall be eligible to participate in the release of captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar partridges and rock pigeons on state game lands for hunting and/or dog training purposes.
2. Except as provided in paragraph five (5) below, eligible persons releasing captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants or bobwhite quail on state game lands during closed seasons for the same shall apply for and receive a field dog trial permit from the Commission prior to engaging in release activities (See 34 Pa.C.S. §§ 2943 (relating to field dog trials) and 2944 (relating to field dog trials for retrievers)).
3. Except as provided in paragraph five (5) below, eligible persons releasing captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants or bobwhite quail on state game lands during open seasons for the same are encouraged, but not required, to apply for and receive a field dog trial permit from the Commission prior to engaging in release activities. However, should a field dog trial permit not be obtained, all daily and field possession bag limits for each respective species, as found in Section 139.4 of the Pennsylvania Code, shall apply in full force and effect (58 Pa. Code § 139.4).
4. Except as provided in paragraph five (5) below, eligible persons may release captive bred or captive raised chukar partridges and rock pigeons on state game lands through out the duration of the license year without the need for obtaining a field dog trial permit.
5. The release of captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar partridges and rock pigeons on state game lands for hunting and/or dog training purposes during the entire month of October remains expressly prohibited without a field dog trial permit. The issuance of a field dog trial permit during the month of October will be predicated upon the absence of any pheasant stocking activities in the near area as determined by the Commission.
6. All takings of captive bred or captive raised ringneck pheasants, bobwhite quail, chukar partridges and rock pigeons pursuant to this order shall be conducted in conformance with the limitations of Section 2308 of the Game Code (34 Pa.C.S. § 2308 (relating to unlawful devices and methods)) and Sections 141.20 and 141.22 of the Pennsylvania Code (58 Pa. Code §§ 141.20 (relating to protective material required) and 141.22 (relating to small game)).
7. This Order shall not be construed in any manner to permit the hunting or taking of wild game or wildlife in any manner inconsistent with the Game Code or its attendant regulations. Specifically, this Order shall not be construed in any manner to abrogate or diminish any current or future limitations or prohibitions on the hunting or taking of pheasants, the release of artificially propagated live pheasants or the training of dogs within any area designated as a wild pheasant recovery area.
8. This Order shall not be construed in any manner to limit the Commission’s authority to establish additional or further authorizations or limitations relating to the release of artificially propagated live birds on state game lands for hunting and/or dog training purposes.
9. This Order is effective immediately and shall remain in effect until rescinded or modified by subsequent order.
Given under my hand and seal of the Pennsylvania Game Commission on this _____ day of _______________ 200__.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the clarification. I was reading out of the digest. Is there another rules and reg. book?

Id rather not hunt them tomorrow. To many people out and not enjoyable.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I don't blame you. First day could be nuts.

I am not sure why they do not update the digest. There is conflicting information and very unclear to hunters and dog handlers. This type question comes up a lot.

It's been said that you can find that information from the PGC website but I am not sure exactly where. I do know that there is more law information that could be found on the site.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2013, 03:16 PM

everything is included in
titles 34 of the game and wildlife code
and title 58 of penn code
most is in title 34

but of course everything related to game and hunting is under there, and digesting lawyer speak isn't easy.

that said I think its legal to run them sunday,long as your not hunting

Da hawk ate my baby!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page