Grouse opener stories! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Grouse opener stories!

Went out today with my 15mos. old Drahthaar along with TwistedOak and his young Griff pup. The weather was great, sunny & cool. We didn't venture much of the trails this time but we had fun and so did the dogs. Hunted for a good 6hrs. We got 1 point from my draht but still enjoyed every second of it. Well except maybe the 30-45 minutes I couldn't find my dog! He circled behind us eventually and got back on the trail and was coming up it when I finally saw him. I think I've learned to start trusting in him more going forward. He knew where he was, I just didn't. Early in the morning crossed paths with a bow hunter that scored on a really big 8 pointer. Just a beautiful buck that probably went 200lbs live weight.

Right now I'm tired, my feet are sore, the dog's wore out and although we only pointed one bird it was an awesome day and I'm entirely addicted to grouse hunting!

Let's see those opening day stories folks.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:00 PM

Re: Grouse opener stories!

Went out today with my 5 mo old GSP and my buddy and his 5 mo old GSP. We took our sons with us today as well. We hunted roughly 2.5 hrs which is the longest either of the pups who happen to be brothers have run at once. We had 10 flushes (4 grouse and 6 woodcock) only thrice did the pups lock up on birds. The rest were flushes where we nearly stepped on them. All of the birds were holding tight however we came up empty handed and only managed shooting at 4 of those birds because of the thick cover and low flight. A great time was had by all and our boys definitely are hooked!

Only the owners of a GSP would truly understand, "If I fits, I sits".
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 PM
New Arrival

Went out this morning for grouse. Flushed four grouse prematurely. Fifth grouse my buddy got a shot at, missed.

Hit some bottom land for woodcock this afternoon. Didn't see a thing accept for some massive bear poops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 12:53 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I went with my two sons today with his 5 mos. old setter...Very slow...only one wild flush...It doesn't seem like hunting season with 70 degree weather in the afternoon! I noticed the teaberry crop is way down this year. I did see a couple nice deer herds with a massive buck...
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 03:10 AM

was a nice autumn day with good company.both the human and K9 type.
the pup is whup'd ,I think she would have sleep in the car tonight if I had let her.even tried to fall asleep in the tub as I washed her down.

the neat part of this time of year is the variety of hunting going on..
seen youth pheasant hunters , heard some muzzle loaders ,seen squirrel hunters ,archery hunters.

congrats to the gentleman who arrowed a really nice buck.
there were no farm buffets for this deer,truely fine example of a penn forest land deer.

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 03:25 AM

Sure miss the days my dad and others in our hunting party would line up and head out across the steep grapevine covered hillsides attempting to harvest a grouse. Made for some awesome Buck scouting opportunities as well!

Good luck to all, congrats to the lucky ones!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 10:50 AM

RYan, did you end up trying out where we had talked about, or did you head farther North/West?

Obama/Biden-Change You Can Believe In If You Feel It's The Government's Job To Provide For You.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 12:35 PM

Overall it was our best opener in the last few years. The weather was pretty good, overcast mostly with temps in the 50's. A little warm but not the 60's and blazing sun we get some openers. Rain threatened but didn't materialize until after 4:00 so never impacted the hunt really.
My two dogs both did themselves proud and I was very happy with their overall performance. The birds held exceptionally well throughout the day and we were lucky to have numerous contacts with both grouse and woodcock.
Our shooting wasn't great but it's been worse at times. I took a secret satisfaction in out shooting my long time hunting partner, which doesn't happen often.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Was out for about 3 and a half hours. Had 1 wild flush. Tried out a couple me areas. My 5 month old Drat did a good job. Despite not finding any grouse. He had a couple solid points that were false points lol. He looked at me like he was ready to swear something is there. He didn't get frustrated, just went about his business finding the next scent trail.

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy JM
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-20-2013, 02:09 PM

Gentlemen,
I was in the forest by 9:00 AM, older dogs pointed 6 Woocock in less than an hour, I shot no birds. Caught a quick lunch around 11:30, then took my young Ryman Setter male back to the same covert area, only one Woodcock point.
I wanted to see if Heston had over run the Woodcock so I let the girls out again, the Woodcock had jumped over the mountain toward Kettle Creek, Daisy and Penny set me up a beautiful Grouse along the creek, and the little SXS H&R Hammer Gun was true as the Grouse banked thru the beautiful fall colores of the hard woods. Daisy retrieved the Grouse to hand, I will remember that big Grouse banking thru the trees and Daisy swimming the creek as she retrieved the bird, for the rest of my life, if was simply beauriful, the fall colors were incredible. I was out of the over casting woods by 1:30, when it started to get windy and rained. Not the ideal opening day, but lots of fun, hoping for a sunny cooler Monday. Hope you gentlemen and ladies had every bit as nice an opening day.
Ya got to love Potter/Tioga, we call it God's Country cause it is.

Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page