The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

First Grouse

3K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Game_Hunter 
#1 ·
Got my first grouse this morning! Hunted for 4 hours and had two flushes! What a great way to start the season!!!

My fiancée was the one who flushed both birds and got to do the retrieving!

See less See more
#13 ·
Yes there is 2 different guns! My fiancée was the retriever, she was the one who flushed the bird and when it flushed he bared off into my shot zone! That was her first time out hunting and she did pretty good! The 2 we flushed she was able to pull up, she was just hesitent in pulling the trigger!

#16 ·
Thank you everyone!!!!

Yes the tail is saved! I have it spead out and covered the fleshy part with borax! If I had the extra money I would have loved to get it taxidermied!!! I would like get a grouse, pheasant and wood duck done at some point! They are all beautiful birds!!!

This will be my 3rd season hunting. In those three years I've targeted grouse about 6-8 times a year. Unfortunately the drive to the gamelands we hunt is a decent distance so I don't get out as much as I like.

Last year in the late season, we finally stumbled on an area where we got a nice number of flushes! So that's the area we hit first yesterday! In my three years of hunting I found that I absolutly love upland bird hunting! I just love walking through the woods/field not knowing when a bird will flush! It's peaceful, exciting, and really enjoyable!!! That's why we are getting a pup so we can spend more time bird hunting!!!

#23 ·
I've been working a lot lately and the way it was going I would be working 14 days straight... I told my fiancée if she wants to spend time with me come fall/winter she better think about doing her hunters safety course. She agreed and we went and did it back in august. Then spent the rest of the month getting her use to handling a gun, wildlife education, and shooting clays. I took her out for dove which was more to show her all the other spot I hunt in the area. She kept up with me and actually enjoyed it! She enjoyed it so much she ended up buying herself her own pink cameo youth 20 gauge! (She was using my old one which was a bit to long)

Luckily things are starting to slow down in the gas field (seasonal) so I told my boss if he can drop me down to 4/5 days a week... I still get 60ish hours a week and I get to hunt. It ended up working out! And yeah she might not if needed to get her license but now she has it and I can enjoy hunting with her!!! The best part is she actually wants to go out!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.