Westmoreland county pheasants - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Westmoreland county pheasants

I was looking on the PA Game Commission web site and unless I'm looking in the wrong place, it looks like gameland 42 is the only location they stock in Westmoreland county. It has been years since I hunted pheasant, but didn't they used to stock the area near Keystone state park by the Loyalhanna Creek? Also, didn't they used to stock in the gamelands by Tunnelton Rd just across the border in Indiana County?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Westmoreland county pheasants

I sent you a PM
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:29 PM
New Arrival

I am generally trying to figure out the same thing. I did not grow up hunting but my son has developed an interest and has gotten me involved (God forbid we ever hit anything, I would not know how to clean/prepare it!!! :-) We have really enjoyed the youth pheasant hunts the past two years and would like to go out on our own. I am trying to locate access points to stocked areas close to Murrysville (Keystone, Loyalhanna, Blairsville, Etc.) Anyone want to share their "secret spots" with us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtHomeInTheWoods
I am generally trying to figure out the same thing. I did not grow up hunting but my son has developed an interest and has gotten me involved (God forbid we ever hit anything, I would not know how to clean/prepare it!!! :-) We have really enjoyed the youth pheasant hunts the past two years and would like to go out on our own. I am trying to locate access points to stocked areas close to Murrysville (Keystone, Loyalhanna, Blairsville, Etc.) Anyone want to share their "secret spots" with us?
I'm not familiar with your area but as far as not knowing how to clean/prepare what you may kill, it's not hard. With pheasants, you can clean the whole bird but since most of the meat is in the breast anymore I just breast them out and discard the rest (if you tie flies you can use the pheasant tails for PT nymphs.) It's quick and easy and all you need is a sharp knife. Cut the skin up the middle and peel back the feathers and skin to expose the breast meat. Carefully cut out each breast, take your time and get as much of the meat out as you can. Season or mariande them as you want. They're done quickly on a grill or in a pan and it makes a great lunch after returning home from your hunt.

If you want to do the whole bird, the easiest way is to remove the skin with the feathers. Or you can do it the way my dad taught me, which is the way he used to do chickens. Boil up a big pot of water and scald the pheasant quickly to aid in removing the feathers while preserving the skin on the bird for cooking. This method is time consuming and can be messy, we used to do it outside.

If you get some squirrels or rabbits, you're going to want to skin them and there are some simple ways of doing it. A guy here posted a video not long ago skinning squirrel and it is indeed a simple way to to do it.

Really, if you and your son are going to hunt, you should learn how to clean the game you get. That's not only part of your responsibility as hunters but it's very satisfying preparing and sharing the game you take with your family. It's a great way to get further connected to the land and the game. It's not hard and you get better at it with practice. Good luck and safe hunting.

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 05:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Welcome to the site At Home. They stock the gamelands outside of Blairsville but not sure about youth hunt.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 10:04 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

You should be able to find a lot of videos on youtube for cleaning birds. I use a method where you rip a hole in the skin at the bottom of the breast, stick your finger between the breast meat and the ribcage and just pull up. The breast should come out without a ton of effort. Repeat with the other side and you are done. I have done it with grouse but haven't had the chance to clean a pheasant yet. On youtube I have seen pheasants done the same way.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 12:44 PM
New Arrival

Thanks, Guys! I was only partly kidding about the cleaning comment. I have watched the videos, a little experience, and have some friends on "stand by" to help if needed. Just need more practice. I certainly take our responsibilities to the outdoors, wildlife, and the hunt seriously.

Still looking for suggestions on local areas we can do more pheasant hunting. Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page