Guided Snowshoe Hare (Maine)? - Father's 50th - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Guided Snowshoe Hare (Maine)? - Father's 50th

Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to take my father on a guided snowshoe hare hunt for his 50th birthday. I'm looking to head up to Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire... one of the three. I've done some research on guides up North and found the following website that looks promising : http://www.milleroutdoors.com/huntin...re-hunting.htm

Anyone have any experience with this guide service? Can anyone recommend another guide service they've had a good experience with?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:26 PM

Re: Looking for Guided Snowshoe Hare - Father's 50th

Yep, I was there 2 yrs ago, in Feb. However we tried to contact him this past year to go up again and he didn't return our calls or messages, not sure what the story was there. We will be looking to go somewhere again this year but not sure if we will try him again or not. As far as the hunt 2 yrs ago, we brought our own food, the cabin was fine, not plush but served the purpose. Hunting was very good as far as numbers of hares and his dogs worked very well. He did rotate his dogs using fresh ones after a couple hours or so, which I thought was good because at that time a few of the dogs were older so he didn't run them the whole day. When he thought the dogs were "done" we would head back to camp limit or not which was usually by 2PM or so. Which I was ok with, although a couple of the guys would've liked to keep hunting until the end of the day since we had not limited out. Chris, the guide was a nice guy and good to hunt with. We had 5 hunters, can't remember how many SS we got but everyone got some shots and we came close to a limit both days we were there. We're going to check around a little for this year or we may try him again if we can get in touch with him. I'm heading to maine to my friends place for deer this year, he also does snowshoe hunts so we may go there. If you'd like to call him or check his site for Maine: Wilderness Escape Outfitters, Randy Flannery. There is an article and picture on deer hunting in the Oct. Field & Stream featuring him. Good luck searching.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks, this is exactly the information I was looking for. It's nice to hear from someone who has had first hand experience. I haven't tried contacting the milleroutdoors folks yet but it worries me that they haven't responded to any of your phone calls. However, I am happy to hear the numbers were good (game-wise) and that his dogs worked well. I'm going to give them a call later today, hopefully I can get in touch with them. If not, I'll give your friend a call at Wilderness Escape Outfitters. Thanks again for the information I will let you know how I make out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 01:11 PM

Keep us posted, always on the lookout for potential good places to go. First hand experience is best.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I tried contacting Miller Outdoors yesterday and no one answered. Did not receive a response to my phone call yet so I'm still researching new guides/outfitters.

Davy: I was going to call your friend at Wilderness escape outfitters and then realized they are 10+ hours away. I might try to find something a little bit closer, say in the 8 hour range.

I have been hearing great things about Pine Grove Lodge so I am going to give them a call later today. Anyone have any experience with Pine Grove Lodge recently? I've read some reviews and they seem promising. I'll keep you all posted on my findings. Thanks again. Any other help is appreciated.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Yeah it's about 11 hours from the Scranton area. But if I remember right Millers was around that too (time wise) due to going through mountains and small towns and he is at the very top of N.H. I think only about 10 miles from Maine. I've heard of Pine Grove as well, and Oxbow Lodge but I'm not sure if Oxbow does SS maybe just deer and bear.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-15-2013, 06:33 PM

Been going to Miller's for about 10 years now.
Very good area for hare. quite a lot of hunters around though.

He can be a super pain to get a hold of.
I swear he ignores people on purpose.

As far as the 2PM quit goes, that is pretty standard for him.
We have our own hounds and no longer book "fully guided" for that reason.

E Mail has always worked best for us to get him.
A few of our friends were up there last weekend and he had 2 semi guided groups as well as a fully guided group, so he is quite busy.

But we still go because it is a good area and in NH you can hunt on Sunday, where in Maine you can not.

We also go to Maine but hunt on our own and rent a cabin.

I takes us about 8 hours from Susquehanna County to get to Miller's

John L

Hunt Hard - Hunt Smart
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks for the information Rabbit Runner. He definitely is very difficult to get a hold of. I called him once more last night and he didn't pick up. I'll try e-mailing him today to see if I can get a response. I keep hearing great things about his services so I would like to book with him.

I wasn't aware that you could hunt on Sundays in New Hampshire that means I could get an additional day of hunting in if I went to NH. Hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Then again I guess most outfitters are pretty difficult to get a hold of, haha. I tried calling Pine Grove Lodge as well and they didn't pick up or return my phone call. Hopefully I hear back from either of these guides soon.

Thanks again.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 11:17 AM

RR that explains a few things. It is a good place to go overall.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Guided Snowshoe Hare (Maine)? - Father's 50th

I went to pine grove lodge back in 2001; near bingham ,Maine...You won't be disappointed. good food,dogs,and nice people.Give them a call. http://www.pinegrovelodge.com/Hunting.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page