South Dakota Pheasant Hunting Updates - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

South Dakota Pheasant Hunting Updates

We have a trip planned for late October out to Pierre, SD and I was wondering if anyone has any input on how the pheasants did after that major snow storm last week? Any birds left out there??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-09-2013, 11:22 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: South Dakota Pheasant Hunting Updates

Snow storm did not effect that area, but spring rains and snow effected the entire state. Bird numbers are down this year by at least 50%. We are still going on our trip at the end of Oct. but not expecting the bird numbers like last year. Even on a bad year, SD is still the best pheasant hunting state. Hope you have a great trip.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk529
Snow storm did not effect that area, but spring rains and snow effected the entire state. Bird numbers are down this year by at least 50%. We are still going on our trip at the end of Oct. but not expecting the bird numbers like last year. Even on a bad year, SD is still the best pheasant hunting state. Hope you have a great trip.

Where are you hunting in SD? We're heading out 11/1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 06:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

We are going to be near the Winner area, best of luck on your trip, we'll be home 11/2 I think.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just got back from Winner area hunting sharptail grouse and chickens... the local I was hunting with said birds were down 75%...both grouse and phez... Would like to go back for phez some year...
G
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-10-2013, 11:59 PM
New Arrival

I talked to a friend who lives near Artesian,SD back at the beginning of summer and he said the pheasant numbers were down due to the rains and flooding just as jdk529 said. Now keep in mind when they flush the ditch chickens from the corn there are as many as 100 birds in some of the flushes. A bad day there is 100 times better than a good day in PA ENJOY
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:07 AM
New Arrival

I've been going out to SD for 20 years, sometimes 3x/season and have several local friends. Have hunted Mitchel/Huron, Hecla, Chamberlain, Presho, Pierre, Isabel, basically all over the state on both walk-in and private land. The 2013 drought and nasty 2014 rainy spring/hatch time put a real hurting on the bird populations for this year. But the reality is, corn and bean prices, huge crp contract loss and gov't crop insurance are the killers and the days of SD and bird flocks of the past are over. Last year I saw countless sloughs and cattail marshes that were dry because of the drought being burnt up - all pheasant cover/habitat. My farmer friends out there say that as long as the corn is planted and crop insurance purchased, the farmer can't loose: if the normal rains hit and it floods or the harvest gross is less than the input cost, insurance covers the different. I reviewed the 2014 Hunting Atlas with walk in and compared it to a copy a few years ago and most of the prime crp/walk in ground west river along interstate 90 in the classic bird areas are gone - now in crop production. So right now, SD and ND is experiencing the greatest landscape change since the 1910's- check out mags like Dakota County or any internet search. I'm out there in 2 weeks for 2 weeks and helping guide at a lodge so my dogs will get bird work. Not sure that I'd recommend a person driving 22 hours from Lancaster to Mitchell with hopes of birds, at best you have to go to the James River areas, 24 hrs away and scratch up a bird or two a day. Hate to sound depressing, but reality is, Iowa, SD, ND, Minn pheasant populations are basically controlled by gov't crp, wetland, tile/drainage policy and corn prices and it is going in the wrong direction for the bird. Final comment: the Corn Growers Association with this [censored] ethanol #@%#@% crap is putting the curtain on wild pheasants in the mid west. Should we take up golf??
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2013, 12:25 AM
Sage

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/10/11/sou...ntcmp=obnetwork

wmu 3A
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 11:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Just returned after a week of hunting pheasants near Winner SD, and yes the birds were down real bad, we only saw about 40 birds per day about 15 roosters the rest hens, other years we have been seeing 250 a day. Later in the season may be better because there still is a lot of standing corn, milo and sunflowers. I hope not, but it may be a while before good numbers return.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page