Ramblings about the grouse opener. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Ramblings about the grouse opener.

Well, the Wee Man has a football game on the opener so I'll be missing it. However, The Old Gal is agreeable to me taking vacation the following Monday and Tuesday. Looks like I'll be pulling into camp Saturday evening. If his game is early enough I may be able to get up there in time to squeeze in a quick evening hunt right behind camp. I'll do some chores and some fly fishing on Sunday then get after the birds in earnest the next two days. I think Pap's old 16 ga SxS is going to get the nod over the 20 ga Red Lable. My barber just gave me a couple boxes of 16 ga. #8's and #7 1/2 he had lying around and I found out at the HPA Pheasant hunt I can still shoot that old double pretty well. I got it from my grandpap when I was 12. I killed all my firsts with it and even shot an honest double on grouse with it when I was 15. It was probably the easiest double ever presented to a hunter but a double non the less. But at age 16 I just had to have a 12 ga pump cause that's what all my friends were toting. So, I took $100 I got from bailing hay and bought a used Mossberg 500 with that ever-so-swanky polychoke, which I still have to this day. When I got older and a little smarter, or lazier, whichever the case may be, I learned you can kill stuff just as dead with a 20 ga and not have to carry around the extra weight of a 12. Nostalgia or maybe a regression back into my childhood has brought me back to the twice barrel of my youth. I'm looking forward to knocking the crap out of leaves, branches and maybe the occasional grouse with it. I've been exercising all summer and alternate walking 4 miles and 2 miles daily. I should be able to manuever through my covert coverts with little difficulty. I haven't had much of a chance to even get to camp with the old gal's elderly grandmother living with us. Her increasing dementia has gotten to the point where she can only be left to her own devices a couple hours a day. Trips to camp have been few and far between this year. But, I imagine the areas that held grouse last year will hold them this year for the most part. Additionally, reports of the area around my camp being surrounded by woodcock have been coming in. The old gal spent a few days up there a couple weeks ago to do some fall cleaning. She took our Brit, Tripper with her for company. He spent his mornings between pointing woodcock and taking his morning constitution. Unfortunately, my wife watched all this from the camp window and he was left to flush birds on his own. We got him redirected and back to holding point at the pheasant hunt, though. I'm pretty excited to be able to get up there and spend some alone time. Its something I don't get much of lately. I hope everyone has a great opener and season. Good luck to all and be safe.

I don't have ducks. I don't have rows. I have squirrels. And they're drunk.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ramblings about the grouse opener.

Good luck to the WeeMan and enjoy your few days of camp life.

Unless you are the lead dog, the view is always the same...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 09:37 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sounds like a nice trade off for missing opening day. (Just Sour grape it, and tell yur self you'll miss all the crowds )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Sage

enjoy your time whenever it is... Good luck to the football team too!!

wmu 3A
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Frequent Contributor

Give that 16ga a good workout. Doc in Pa.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Enjoy!

Never knew a man not to be improved by a dog.

Robert Ruark, 1955

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page