Quail Plan - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

Quail Plan

I've been wondering how the PA Quail Plan was coming along and I saw this today:

QUAIL MANAGEMENT GIVEN BOOST

Commissioners vote to route $250,000 from lease agreement to efforts outlined by plan.

The Pennsylvania Board of Game Commissioners hope to jumpstart the state’s quail management efforts, and on Tuesday took action toward that end.

The board formed a committee to oversee implementation of the Game Commission’s quail-management plan, which includes an initial survey to identify quail habitat and determine how many wild quail live in Pennsylvania .

Additionally, the board amended a nearly $3.9 million lease agreement for oil and gas rights to route $250,000 to wildlife management resources, specifically for the management of the northern bobwhite quail.

Commissioner Jay Delaney made the motion to amend the lease, and it was seconded by Commissioner Brian Hoover and approved by a 5-2 vote. Commissioners Ralph Martone and Charles Fox voted against the measure, and Commissioner Ronald Weaner was absent.

Delaney said the Game Commission should place priority on efforts to manage bobwhite quail, since most reports indicate the species is in decline, and perhaps could be considered endangered.

The commissioners said the additional funding would help in providing resources for quail management.

Anybody else hear anything about the progress of the plan?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Quail Plan

Should we put that money into quail or should it go towards grouse?

Personally Id like to see it earmarked for grouse
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Grouse seem to be doing well in parts of the state but the same can't be said for quail. I have no problems with the PGC trying to do something to help improve the status of bobwhite quail. And its not like nothing is being done for grouse. I'm sure there are others on here who know more about work being done for grouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 02:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I see your point. Ive honestly never even seen a wild quail in 27 years of hunting pa. Where in pa are there grouse?
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Part of the Community

If they put the time effort and money in like they did for the turkey then the quail and grouse populations would benefit. I think this is a good start, I hope that it works out, I know there are some wild quail in the southern part of the state, I have never saw them myself. @clearfield12 there are grouse in the Allegany National Forest.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 10:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

LOL!

How far will $250,000 go toward quail habitat improvement? The thing is, this needs to be a continual habitat improvement program. Once they plant whatever or make whatever improvements, it will need maintained to keep it in that state.

Bobwhite quail exploded after the land was cleared for farming and because of the way farming was done. They will never be able to financially sustain a wild quail population without major contribution from those with thousands of acres of land. Those people want high yields from their farms, not quail.

The bobwhite is on the decline in areas with far better chances of habitat improvement than PA. This attempt will fail, unless the intent is to have a 100 acre northern bobwhite quail propogation area similiar to a zoo. Just so that PA can say it has a population of wild bobwhite.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Sage

When I started hunting we would flush wild quail regulary in Lebanon Co. on land that used to belong to my grandfather. Quail are a native bird and we should bring them back if it is possible, we should at least try the right way, not dump out pen raised birds but get wild quail from a state with hard winters. In the 30s and 40s my grandfather would get a permt from the PGC to trap and winter quail in cornshock enclosures on his small farm, feed them and release them in the spring. The first order of business has to be habitat or there is no point in trying.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 12:11 PM
Sage

Highcountry, a quarter of a million is a start. If Henry Ford and Thomas Edison would have stood back and listened to other people who said it can't be done, we would still be riding in buckboards and using kerosene lights!

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 06:07 PM

anytime the game commission tries rebuilding ANY native game bird in PA i'm all on board
quail, grouse, woodcock,even non native pheasants.
its a win win for everything be it your favored game or not

Da hawk ate my baby!!
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 09-27-2013, 06:29 PM
Part of the Community

the first game bird I ever killed was a quail in Crawford county went trough 2 boxes of shells on rabbits d quail got one quail and one bunny that was in 1960 I always hear them singing in summer when at paps that was the first wisseal I learned as a kid wish they can get the back but farming is different now they use to many pestasides there is no bugs for the chicks or cover in winter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page