Any word?: Lets talk a little Grouse Hunting... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Any word?: Lets talk a little Grouse Hunting...

Still under review?

That topic was the most "successful" one since No September Start to Squirrel Season...

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM
The Man

Re: Any word?: Lets talk a little Grouse Hunting...

That's why I reposted the link to Ruffed Grouse Hunting and Habitat. The thread was locked before anyone really had a chance to comment.

It's interesting that once the comments began, they quickly shifted away from different methods of hunting grouse. The focus went to habitat as the primary issue, not if someone killed a grouse on the ground and that person being held accountable for population issues.

I do on occasion take a grouse with a black powder rifle. The law allows it, and provided it is a safe shot, I do my best to get that head shot. It only happens about once every 5 years?? LOL..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yes it's still being reviewed. If you call a thread full of personal attacks a success then we have differing opinions. If this goes that direction again all members involved will get a 6 month vacation.

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 PM
The Man

Much was said about hunting tradition. For some of us, during small game season, the tradition has always been with harvesting what ever small game we came across on any given day. We may focus on a certain game animal, and choose what firearm will give us the most advantage..or personal challenge. We were/are opportunist enjoying the outdoors, using what we harvest.

When I was a kid, what we killed on a weekend was what was on the menu for the following week. That is the PA tradition I grew up with, and continue to follow.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I like when I'm called as bad as an anti and that I'd stand by if the antis looked to outlaw baitfishing or not shooting birds on the wing. Actually it upset me a bit but I tried to consider the source. For the record, I'd like to say I'd be right there on the front lines confronting ANY and ALL attacks on hunting & fishing by antis. I've already done so. I also have no problems with baitfishing, heck I do it for catfish and stripers in the surf as well as panfish with my nephews and nieces.

I was merely stating my opinion that I think there's an evolution to most anglers and hunters as they gain experience and greater and greater appreciation of the game they are pursuing. I look to educate people and let them decide for themselves, not ban things from use. For instance, my near my TU chapter is wonderful trout stream that's stocked but also has a Class A population of wild brown trout (and some wild brookies.) It is only stocked with rainbows and I think a lesser number of brook trout. Rather than push for catch & release regulations or stop stocking in the stocked stretch we've been educating local anglers on the fact that there is a fantastic brown trout population and all the browns they might catch are wild. We've show them how to identify them and encourage them that if they do want to take some fish home for the table to please consider taking some of the rainbows and stocked brookies home and release the browns. We've found that a lot of the anglers weren't even aware the stream had wild trout but once they have that information they make the decision on their own to help protect the resource and still enjoy some fresh trout by taking home the stocked trout. We watched one guy relase a brown he had just put on the stringer after learning it was wild and then he proceeded to educate his buddies on it.

Okay, had to get that off my chest, let's get back to grouse hunting & habitat

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 01:51 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyco Setter
That topic was the most "successful" one since No September Start to Squirrel Season...
Gee, with the parenthesis and reference to the squirrel thread, I think it's patently obvious there's more than a touch of sarcasm here..
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 02:02 PM

Gentlemen,
I started the other thread to discuss the ethics of Grouse & Woodcock hunting each person has his own views on these
ethics and just what they are, it seems the conversation
degraded into personal attacks, and this some times happens
when I introduce ethics and tradition into a hunting discussion. Rest assured I am not trying to force anyone
into my ethics or our family traditions, I simply relate
what they really are, you decide whether you want to use them or not. Some of these Grouse hunting traditions mean more to us than simply following the law, they are more strict and disciplined. The one thing I will not tolerate is being personally attacked for my family traditons and ethics, I expect people to stay on the Grouse hunting subject and discuss what ethics they have, and what their hunting traditions are when a thread like this is started. It's a shame that the same people over and over again, undermine the forum with personal attacks, rather than discussing the subject at hand.

Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Look guys, we heard this all before you're starting to sound like a broken record, enough is enough.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page