The Man

Ruffed Grouse Hunting and Habitat

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=601985&mode=2

Comments. Disagree with, or agree?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 AM

Re: Ruffed Grouse Hunting and Habitat

I agree. The grouse are out there, you just have to walk and you will find them.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM

I agree that the article is trying to put as happy a face on the issue as possible. The simple fact is that the hunting is not as good as it was in the 70's, 80's, or even the 90's. Sure, if you spend the time and locate the remaining decent cover the flush rate can be good but the ever shrinking size of that decent cover concentrates the group effort (hunters).
I've been disappointed overall with the efforts of the PGC in support of ruffed grouse over the past thirty years. No question in my mind that lack of suitable habitat is the primary problem. I know I spend a lot more hours per year scouting new spots and miles driven than I did in the 70's & 80's to see grouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:26 PM

Gentlemen,
Please understand politcs is the real problem.
Habitat not managed properly on public lands is due to politics, law suits by communist tree huggers has influenced even the PGC. They even try to stop private land owners from harvesting forests. Biologist like Bill Palmer have been forced to retire because of this rotten politics. Unless the young sportsman wake up and start fighting back, prime habitat will continue to shrink,
one of the most dangerous situations to hunting & Pa's SGL is the multi-usage garbage that has now started. The SGL needs to be managed for hunting and nothing else.
We have plenty of State Parks in Pa for the none hunters to play on, in which they have outlawed dog training.
However these same people want to use the SGL for their nonhunting private play grounds. Young hunters better wake up or their hunting habitat will continue to shrink.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 02:43 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingshot
I agree that the article is trying to put as happy a face on the issue as possible. The simple fact is that the hunting is not as good as it was in the 70's, 80's, or even the 90's. Sure, if you spend the time and locate the remaining decent cover the flush rate can be good but the ever shrinking size of that decent cover concentrates the group effort (hunters).
I've been disappointed overall with the efforts of the PGC in support of ruffed grouse over the past thirty years. No question in my mind that lack of suitable habitat is the primary problem. I know I spend a lot more hours per year scouting new spots and miles driven than I did in the 70's & 80's to see grouse.
I totally agree that the grouse aren't as widespread as they were in the 70's & 80's. I also believe we have turned the corner on creating early successional habitat on PA State Gamelands and that the next 20 years are going to be much better than the last 20 years were. PA_Sportman is doing his best to ensure that is the case.
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap
I totally agree that the grouse aren't as widespread as they were in the 70's & 80's. I also believe we have turned the corner on creating early successional habitat on PA State Gamelands and that the next 20 years are going to be much better than the last 20 years were. PA_Sportman is doing his best to ensure that is the case.
X's 2.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM

dap,
I agree Biologists like PGC's Eric Miller are helping a lot, they know forest management and along with some of our SFL biologist and foresters things in the forest management area are looking up, when we can keep the fool politicians out of the biologist way. My brother is an industrail forester, he was trained to mange forest to make money, I do wish the PGC would reach out to these highly experienced Industrial Foresters, in my brothers case he has 40 plus years of forest management experience, it would help our SGL & SFL foresters greatly.
Eric Miller has his hands full making sure forests are cut and managed properly, because of old wives tails believed by some of the PGC land supervisors and inforcement people along with underhanded politics these real PGC biologist have their hands full each and every day they go to work. My family has nothing but respect for these incredible PGC Biologist, they are saving our forest habitat a little at a time using proper forest management techniques.

Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyco Setter
Quote:
Originally Posted by dap
X's 2.

X's 3
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...management_pdf

Dog Forum Sponsor. http://knobmtnkennel.com/
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Part of the Community

I can say where I hunt there has been alot of cutting going on the last five years. I feel very positive about that.
One thing I never understood about the environmentalists, arent trees a renewable resource? What could possibly be their argument against cutting?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page