Pigeon? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Pigeon?

Friends and I were hunting dove the other day and we had a small flock (5 or 6) of pigeons fly over. We started talking and none of us really knew the right answer. Are they legal to hunt in Pa? I mean we all know of pigeon shoots etc but while hunting dove can you take a pigeon if it flies over?

Do you eat them?

I did a search through the hunting booklet and I could not find any mention of Pigeon.

Thanks
Anthony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Sage

Re: Pigeon?

Pigeons are not game birds, there are no seasons or bag limits on them, they are considered feral, most farmers would appreciate tem being shot. The only law on the books regarding pigeons is a law that says you may not shoot homing pigeons. How one could tell if a bird was a homer while flying eludes me. As far as eating them, I have no problem eating barn pigeons, especially the squabs, the old birds are tough but can be used for pot pie. I would not eat pigeons that came from a city.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

Some folks dose their training pigeons with antibiotics, etc.....some of those meds may not be best for human consumption.
Which pigeon would be the sticker...but, corn-fed squab would be swell.
Small point and fwiw.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Sage

When I was a child, my dad and uncle used to catch pigeons in barns and silos to sell to the pigeon shoots around the area. We always took the squabs from the nests and put them in a pen and feed them corn for a while then butcher them and eat them. They were very good.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Pigeons are not game birds, there are no seasons or bag limits on them, they are considered feral, most farmers would appreciate tem being shot. The only law on the books regarding pigeons is a law that says you may not shoot homing pigeons. How one could tell if a bird was a homer while flying eludes me. As far as eating them, I have no problem eating barn pigeons, especially the squabs, the old birds are tough but can be used for pot pie. I would not eat pigeons that came from a city.
Thanks,

We were at a game lands. I doubt they are city birds but who knows.

So non game birds are allowed to be hunted anytime? Are all non game birds open to hunting? Do the normal rules apply? No Sunday hunting etc?

I just want to make sure I have the correct information.

Thanks
Anthony
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Sage

No, most none game birds with the exception of starlings and English sparrows are protected birds, pigeons are feral, meaning a domestic gone wild and have no designation or protection. However, even starlings and English sparrows are clasified as unprotected birds under the game law.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup1279
Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Thanks,

So non game birds are allowed to be hunted anytime? Are all non game birds open to hunting? Do the normal rules apply? No Sunday hunting etc?

Thanks
Anthony
Just because some birds are not listed as game birds does not mean they are open to unrestricted hunting. Most song birds are not game birds but are federally protected I believe. (If I'm wrong, I'm sure I'll hear about it) Any "invasive type bird such as the European Starling are free for the taking any time.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. It is greatly appreciated. I want to be sure I know what I am talking about the next time we all get together.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Part of the Community

I always thought that pigeons were a type of dove. A rock dove I have heard them called. So not sure if the season is for mourning dove only or all species. May have to read up on it.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Sage

They are European rock doves, they are not native to north America, they were brought here by immigrants a long time ago and released. They are feral and have no protection under the Game Code. They have nothing to do whatsoever with Mourning doves or the season. Good grief.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page