New Member Hello & Grouse Questions - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

New Member Hello & Grouse Questions

Hello Guys- New member here from Ohio. I've recently become a proud owner of an American Brittany pup- she's 8 months old now and she's pointing to "whoa" and doing some retrieving. This sat I'm finally going to get her on some live quail. cant wait.
I'm hoping she will start scent pointing soon, or I may not be grouse hunting this fall after all....But she comes from a good bloodline and one of her brothers is now scent pointing as of about a month ago.

Molly is my first pointing dog- I'm super excited about getting a few grouse with her. I also have a 3-1/2 year old lab that is more a waterfowl/pheasant flushing dog (2 years ago he was awesome in ND)

Anyway- I'm tentatively planning a camping/hunting trip to Alleghany Forest in early Nov...then probably come back for thanksgiving time. I'm only 2-1/2 hours away from the Marienville area- maybe one day trips? I would suspect the amount of my trips depend on weather and success that I've had. There are a couple campsites that I've started looking at. "Red Bridge" & "Willow Bay" Near Bradford.

Is it feasible to be able to hunt- simply walking from the camps? Or would you say that everything has to be driven to?
Do these campgrounds get loaded with hunters?

Here in Ohio most of the thanksgiving day hunts are rabbit or deer...I would always duck hunt. How about PA? What are the common traditions? I mean, should I expect a huge amount of hunters in the national forest or? I realize its VERY large.

I plan on calling the PA Bureau of forestry to get tips on where the latest clear cuts where done....

Give you a bit of my grouse hunting background.... In high school we didn't know how good we had it...(1986-1990) We had a natural pocket of pheasants & grouse. The grouse spot was a deep ravine mostly facing south, with TONS of wild grapevines and small trees (cant remember the types) Small creek in the bottom.. Just about every time we went through there we would flush 2-3... I think 4-5 of us only killed 5-6 in 4 years... Havent been back there in many years- its mostly un-huntable now, amish houses have moved in.

The last time I saw a grouse was 3 years ago...5 of us were pushing a woodlot in Geauga county (yes, thanksgiving) for rabbits and whoosh! A couple guys saw it but got no shot off. I only heard it.

So, I'm anxious to put some miles on my boots and get my Ruger O/U dusted off in PA this year....hopefully the U.P. next year.
Thanks for any comments... Maybe I'll see some of you in the field sometime!
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:37 AM
dap

Re: New Member Hello & Grouse Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddGrouse
There are a couple campsites that I've started looking at. "Red Bridge" & "Willow Bay" Near Bradford.
Is it feasible to be able to hunt- simply walking from the camps? Or would you say that everything has to be driven to?
Do these campgrounds get loaded with hunters?
While you may be able to walk to a place where you are permitted to hunt, you will probably want to drive to other places with a little better grouse cover. I've never stayed at these campgrounds, but can't imagine you will have much company there in November.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddGrouse
Here in Ohio most of the thanksgiving day hunts are rabbit or deer...I would always duck hunt. How about PA? What are the common traditions? I mean, should I expect a huge amount of hunters in the national forest or? I realize its VERY large.
Many hunters head for their "deer camps" and spend Friday/Saturday hunting squirrel, grouse and turkey while scouting for deer. You may encounter more traffic and parked vehicles Thanksgiving weekend but there will still be plenty of places to hunt grouse without any competition. As you said, the Allegheny National Forest (ANF) is quite large. My experience has been that I find more grouse hunters on the last day of the season than on any other day of the year.

Welcome to HPA and good luck with that new Brittany. Make sure you take your camera with you this weekend, then post some pics of your training session.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:50 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Welcome and I'm curious: what is "pointing to whoa?"

Hunt, Fish, Vote! I support AR and Sunday hunting. Life Member of NRA and TU.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:00 AM
Frequent Contributor

Jim, are you from portage county? There is campground in Lantz's corner called foote rest. I think they have cabins but not sure. this is between Kane and Bradford. I am from mah. county Oh. have camp in westline. I go past the campground on way to camp but will be few weeks before next trip. Small game is my choice also.

camp in A.N.F.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 01:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Jim
I never stayed at either of those campgrounds. Call ahead and inquire about dogs. A friend of mine from North Carolina made cabin reservations a couple years ago at Parker Dam State Park. He mentioned when making the reservations that he had two dogs. They said it would be OK but they would have to stay in the truck. He was fine with that. He mentioned it again when checking in and there was confusion and he was told he would have to keep them in the truck and he woud have to park the truck at the lot down by the dam, which is 150 t0 200 yards from the cabin he wasn't happy but agreed. When I showed up a couple hours later he was repacking the truck. Two park rangers showed up and told him he could stay only if he kenneled his dogs at one of the local boarding kennels. What a cluster$%%#. Be sure to ask.

If you take 321 out of kane and follow it till you come to 59 and turn right there is a private campground not far down the road on the left. You should plan on driving from camp to hunt but it doesn't need to be far in that area.

Also keep in mind that the first three days of thanksgiving week is bear season and that is a popular area for bear.

Good luck
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:02 AM
Part of the Community

I stayed at Willow Bay this summer. They do allow dogs. I also seen two grouse on the roads and one of them had 5 chicks with her. The campground was awesome. Campsite were spread out and the showers are clean. Only down fall is you are a good half an hour from any town so make a good check list. No cell phone service but in my mind that is a good thing. Good luck!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR
Welcome and I'm curious: what is "pointing to whoa?"
Molly is still sliding a bit to the dummies/wing we are using...Her starting point may be 3ft to 5ft away.When I say "Whoa" she locks up pretty good. I think she's doing great so far.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith
Jim, are you from portage county? There is campground in Lantz's corner called foote rest. I think they have cabins but not sure. this is between Kane and Bradford. I am from mah. county Oh. have camp in westline. I go past the campground on way to camp but will be few weeks before next trip. Small game is my choice also.
Yes, I'm from Portage county. We are gonna use a tent..I think.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Everyone- thanks for the replies... I'm on a few Ohio forums but not near as much activity on the upland game area as this one..I plan on posting some pics of my little girl from this sat.

Wife and I drove over to McConnell's Mill State Park on labor day- I'm assuming that all the timber is way too mature for any decent grouse? It was only 1.5 hrs away.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

McConnels Mill would be a bust. Concentrate North of interstate 80

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page