Any dove hunters? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Any dove hunters?

Does anyone on here do any dove hunting? I got my stamp this year and want to try it out... Opens in a couple days, does anyone have tips to share? I hear the breast meat is great with bacon

Coyote-1
Ground hog-o
Crow-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Part of the Community

Re: Any dove hunters?

Dove shooting is a great way to start off the hunting season. I at least try and get out opening day and a few after anyway. Sit along a tree line bordering a cut corn field with maybe some phone wires or dead trees and you should get some good shooting. Ive always had better success later in the evening. Be very still. They have excellent eye sight and will swerve off at first motion detected. Dont shoot an over choked gun and give plenty of forward allowance on those crossing shots. They are like little grey rockets. The breasts taste great grilled and wrapped in bacon like you said. I also have split the breasts and put them on kabobs with peppers, tomatos, onions, etc. I prefer them this way. Have fun!
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Set up near grain and water, you are in business. Some evenings are blisters, they don't stop coming. I vividly remember being the ammo "Hump" as a kid, a game pouch full of shotgun shells, a few boxes for each guy.

"Be nice, until its time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze...Roadhouse)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Drive around and look for cut fields...ask permission...find a tree line or something to break up your outline as they approach and park yourself there. Bring along a seat, water and a couple boxes of shells If you can find a grove of evergreens, that can be a really good place right before dark as they come in to roost.

Goin in early and stayin late.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Part of the Community

dove hunting has been something i have done since i was able to hunt, and i too was the "retriever" long before that. I remember we would go and i would shoot 3-4 boxes of shells and get 1 maybe 2. and my dad would be right beside me and limit out on a box. 22 yrs later i can honestly say i have gotten alot better, i agree that you can over choke, i think that was my main problem, until i got zeroed in. Still for me, i dont know if it is all the memories or what, but i love dove hunting. Not as many birds where we go, and usually only get out the first day and maybe 1 or 2 other nights, but sure is fun... Can get hot so make sure you take some water and enjoy the september air. Good luck.

"I'm going to catch it in the coat... and smack it with the hammer" - Chevy Chase
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 08:59 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Marinate the breasts in sprite sode for ten minutes then a soy sauce and teryaki sauce mix for an hour then rap in bacon and make kabobs I saw the recipe on a hunting show now I can't get enough!
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Sage

Take the breast fillet and a piece of jalapeno pepper and wrap in bacon and grill.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Ill be settin up in a half cut corn field monday at 12 sharp. Cant wait till opening day. Gettin a itchy trigger finger.

swope racing 03
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 10:45 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Be setting up on some come oats on Monday afternoon! With about 100 shells just in case
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 PM
The Man

I wish I could find enough doves around here to even consider taking 100 rounds of ammo! No fields cut, no doves

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page