RGS/PF Activities? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

RGS/PF Activities?

Hi folks,

I'm curious what organisations like Pheasants Forever and the Ruffed Grouse Society actually do? I'd be interested in getting involved with something like that in this area but I haven't been able to garner much information about their activites from their online presence. I did see one field day a few months ago but I couldn't make the date unfortunately.

By the way I'm not trying to imply anything I'm just genuinely curious what sort of activities they get involved in and where the money goes, cause I have no idea.

In terms of trying to get involved would folks suggest organisations like these or more locally based conservation/development organisations? Replies welcomed both from people who are and are not involved.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 08:45 PM
Sage

Re: RGS/PF Activities?

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...?ubb=cfrm&c=11

Should give you some idea...

wmu 3A
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:38 PM
Nes

I belong to RGS, Woodcock ltd, and Pheasants forever
Activity depends mainly on your chapter and desire to do get involved. All will have an annual banquet which is usually their major fund raiser. With RGS the money goes to headquarters and if you want to do work you put in a request for funding. Linda Ordiway is the biologist and good at supporting getting habitat on the ground. Pheasants Forever gets the money for your membership, you buy a banquet package of items that are used at the banquet and everything you make stays with the chapter to do with as you please. It is presently the only national organization I am aware of where you keep the money you raise. Woodcock limited is trying to get restarted and will work similar to PF. In my opinion it comes down more to where your interests, how active your local chapters are, and how active you want to be.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Any organization is what you make of it....and what the current leaders see as their goal.
Some like the banquet scene and chummy get-togethers...for others like myself, that got old quickly.
Some also like weed-whacking or shrub planting on a weekend....while others view that effort as wasted if too much fragmentation is present.
Build it and they will come does not always work....RGS blinks that idea and considers that it does work.

However, RGS does have a much different dynamic for habitat work...a much harder row to hoe than PF, for example.
RGS fights the big boys of the SELC and cash/energy sapped DNRs and deer hunters. Their habitat work of clearcuts and diverse age classes of timber too often makes the paper in the wrong way.
RGS, unlike PF, needs Federal and Corporate acreage(tho RGS has taken Corporate for granted in many areas of the range to a great loss). Yes, we all know of federal set-asides.
While RGS plumps for private landowner action, that fragmentation mentioned before often means that little results but the ever-popular Grip & Grin photo op....and banquet $$$s.
RGS missed several boats and have written off the ruffed grouse in parts of the range.

So, many points and your own point of view and interest may indicate which way you wish to jump with your game organization dollar.
Pick and Choose...Fit and Try.
Change as necessary.

For me, I tried RGS several times over the last 40 years or so and no longer belong.
PF still gets some lucre.
There are some prairie bird organizations worth a look and Delta Waterfowl is not bad.
American Rivers, as well.

Actually, it is not a bad idea to join some anti-environment organizations, such as the Buckeye Forest Council. Seeing how those dolts think often gives a better view of the problems a healthy ecosystem faces re management.
Or the sue-happy, sue-failures, the USoP, for that matter.
I have belonged to both of those groups while holding my nose with each.
It can be an eye-opener to see the stupidity that a selfish agenda delivers.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Here in NEPA, RGS,PF, NWTF and QDMA all engage in quite possibly more habitat work than can be done by the underfunded PGC. I'm not bashing the PGC, but their hands are tied by available funds. By teaming with the PGC Food and Cover guys, all 4 groups make a huge impact on public lands habitat. Anyone who says these groups only work on private lands needs to come up here to see what is accomplished for the benefit of many, MANY game and non-game species. We are members of all and really enjoy the banquets and other branch activities such as field days, seminars and habitat work days.

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

timberdoodle I did monitor those forums but didn't see a whole lot of activity so I thought putting the question in the general forum might get a wider range of responses. Looks like I was correct, some great discussion points there and great food for thought, thanks for all of the responses.

I think I'm be more of a feet on the ground than networking kind of guy. Although from my experience in other organizations I know the merits and necessity for both. Then again part of my motivation is simply getting to know some small game hunters in the region who not only enjoy the hunt but also want to work to conserve it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2013, 02:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Being from the Pittsburgh area you can check out the tri county chapter of PF. They are a good group of guys and they are hosting the PF tri-state meeting this year.
https://sites.google.com/site/patricountychapterpf/

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page