tips on getting my lab back to hunting - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
The Man

tips on getting my lab back to hunting

with having a 2 month old my lab did not get to go out hunting last year. She was started and got on a few birds. She is going to be 3 in august.

How can I get her back to hunting mode again. We can go in the woods and she stays at about 30 yards but if there is a bird i can tell by watching her tail and move up quicker.

What are some tricks to get her back to 20 yards?

How can I get her to "find the bird" again and focus while in the field.

I thought about just getting her a check chord for a while. She is obedient and listens to commands so i figured i could also try just whoaing her to get her to stay back and be a close working dog. She is an amazing hunter with an amazing nose, but not so sure she is focusing on birds anymore. I don't want to leave her out to try this season and get her back to being a hunting dog and not just a family pet.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: tips on getting my lab back to hunting

Take her out and hunt her. Maybe spend some time training on planted birds. A good hunting dog will have the desire to produce game for you and will learn through repeat exposure where it needs to be for you to be successful and therefor her to be able to retrieve game. A good hunting dog cooperates and hunts for you not for itself. It is no different than not shooting birds that a pointing breed does not hold point on for you to flush. If you shoot birds that the dog busts it won't be long before your pointer will be a flusher. All that said I don't think thirty yards is a huge problem as long as you are able to recognize when the dog is "birdy" so you can close the distance for the shot.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Start with wings to see her intensity lots of praise and remember they do most of what we teach them by instinct not because we all are great trainers good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 11:54 PM

Birds, birds, and more birds.

Pick up some chuckar and run your dog on them. If the dog is broke on the gun then shoot a few over him. Repeat as much as you can.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3748
Start with wings to see her intensity lots of praise and remember they do most of what we teach them by instinct not because we all are great trainers good luck
How would you work a 3 year old lab with wings?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page