Frequent Contributor

You All Have Got To Read This

Fracking Ourselves To Death In Pennsylvania

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Regular Visitor

Re: You All Have Got To Read This

I thought that there was something to read about bird hunting...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM
atr
Banned

Dang I thought that was about squirrel hunting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was hoping it was about porcupine hunting. I never see any good how-to articles.

Hunting hobby ended, now I'm a fly fisherman!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 03:56 PM
Sage

Miracle of miracles no small game insects birds amphibians fish were killed... just a horse got sick and was shot...

How does that work? an animal the size of a horse is sick but no smaller creatures are even mentioned in the article...One begins to suspect... an agenda???

wmu 3A
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

What the frack...

~bake that possum good an brown lay them sweet tader's round an round~
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:46 PM

Read like the same old "environmentalist" propaganda. - Written to invoke emotion, the vast majority of the article meat is alleged. I liked the bit about radioactive material... alleged and very emotional. Where's all the environmental backlash from the oil drilling in Texas in the early 1900s and its bump again in the 1980s? All under far less scrutiny and federal and state regulation than what the Marcellus is under. I'm not sure what it boils down to. Is it envy? Some people saw a buck to be made and made it. "It's not fair!" is often under the guise "It's not safe!".

NY has had fracking operations on hold in NY for several years now, they're no more healthier than those in drilling areas but hurting big time financially.

The good the industry has done for PA hunters far exceeds any of the bad (most of which is short-term). Leasing SGL for natural gas production has resulted in more acreage being acquired as a result in a lot of instances. Not only that but think about how many farms have been sold and subdivided in the last 15 years, creating housing developments, eliminating opening hunting areas and putting a safety zone beyond that yet. I wonder how much those sign-on bonuses and royalty checks curtailed more of that crap from happening?

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Frequent Contributor

More Internet surfing to Agendaville in popular Fearmongering Township.

Hydraulic fracturing, itself, is of little to no issue of concern.
Never has been.
It is possible to lose a treatment due to a bad cement job or natural fractures in some zones but so that has always been and at much shallower depths than the Marcellus or Utica are found...and no company wishes to lose a treatment.
Damage attributed to local drinking water issues, a non-starter.
Shallow gas has been an issue in many parts of the central Apps. re the water table and coal mine explosions since Hector achieved puphood.
Concern today directed to that process is mostly due to bad information, deliberate spin and lack of mineral rights ownership.

However, that is not to say that there can not be problems with any industry or with any industrial boom....booms often carry burdens when too many try to get rich too quickly.
And, along with the increase in filthy lucre to the state and individuals, booms can weigh heavy on the local infrastructure and individual way of Life.
That is the way such has always been.

One legitimate concern re the Marcellus or Utica, and there are some, is obtaining water for the process and then disposing/treating the water upon return.
Both waaay more important that the silly concern over stimulation of the Marcellus itself.
I would also add that while the Play has opened up some forest floor to the benefitting Sun, that also raises the problem of an increase in the bush honeysuckle varietals spreading amuck which, imo, are worse than multiple rose.

Regulations are present to reign in and monitor activity in this latest boom and all the individuals involved need their feet held to the fire regarding following those regulations.
Fairness, intelligence and clear-thinking though needs to replace the dolts spitting out "stuff" simply meant to enflame and mislead.

Re the radioactive comment.
Radioactive sand has been added to some fracture treatments, if there is a concern for loss into an upper zone for decades...and decades.
Once, I even drank some RA stuff to get a good look at my digestive tract.
Radioactive is a buzzword solely meant to enflame the easy-to-influence folks wearing the tinfoiled Stormy Kromers.

There is some evidence that this boom is busting on a wider multi-state perspective.
I expect that what one will see is a stepping back and realigning with fewer stars in people's eyes.
Hopefully, not too many folks counted unhatched chickens or did invest wisely.
And more hopefully, we keep an honest focus on all environmental issues and seek to allow jealousy and ignorance to maintain less of a chokehold on our commonsense.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 PM

Mostly water with some sand and a little lube. The Lube is a trade secret and different compan to company.

Radioactive material rain down on you daily. Star Dust and SUnshine... I'd be more worried about teh crap in the food we eat and Monsanto GMO crops.

Abandoned coal mines have much more enviro issues than some crappy gas company spilling some stuff on the ground.

What ticks me off is all of teh guard shacks and one way roads in our State Forests. Can't hunt grouse in Loyalsock anymore after it snows. Who's tax dollars paid for those roads?

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
I would also add that while the Play has opened up some forest floor to the benefitting Sun, that also raises the problem of an increase in the bush honeysuckle varietals spreading amuck which, imo, are worse than multiple rose.
Maybe so, but nothing ushers in new life and rebirth like that smell of early May Honeysuckle in bloom. I'd suspect it's a smell that every Gobbler or Morel Hunter would miss if it were no longer around.

2A-Wash. Co.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page