Neglected Bob White Quail - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Neglected Bob White Quail

There has been a lot of talk on this message board about pheasants....wild pheasant recovery areas, season extensions, etc. I think we neglect Mr. Bob White. I suspect there are no more wild quail in PA so why not increase the bag limit and open it to all areas (Presently closed in SEPA). This way, we can put our own birds out or the PGC could stock them. NJ stocks quail in two areas for hunters. Quail have always been great fun for pointing dog owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM

Re: Neglected Bob White Quail

The PGC does have a wild quail plan. I think one of the first steps is to find out if there are any wild quail left in the state. A trap and transfer of some kine is also in the plan but it has been a while since I read it. I don't think the season will open in the area that it is currently closed since they are trying to locate any wild birds. I do enjoy hunting them with the dogs and also live in a part of the state that is closed to quail. So that means going to a preserve still.

Anybody hear any news on the current quail plan? I have not heard much about the progress of it. I know it's still early.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

I only know of this one:

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/ser...gement_plan_pdf

Hunting hobby ended, now I'm a fly fisherman!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

The PGC quail plan is long term. There are no wild quail in SEPA. Why not stock them or let us put out our own quail. NJ does it successfully. PGC should designate particular sgl's or sections of sgl's for quail stockings.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:54 PM

You can stock your own quail on SGL that are open to the quail season with the exception of October. And that doesn't leave you much time to hunt. But if you're in an area that is closed you are out of luck (that includes me too). I don't see the opening of the areas that are currently closed anytime soon. I think it would be nice but I just don't see it.

I don't know much about the NJ program. I think they have 2 areas that get quail. NJ also puts our far fewer pheasants than PA and NJ has a stamp for it.

I'm in the same situation as you and would like to see a change but I don't think it will happen.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 PM

I'm with you and don't see it either. Supposedly Adams County has the last of the wild birds and I had heard that would be the area to start to re establish them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

One thing that will help the quail plan is the success of pheasant plan. If it works for pheasants, it will work for quail.

Can you relese quail in the area if you don't shoot them?

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 AM

You can release as many quail as you would like in a closed aea. Just can't shoot them nad they have to be banded iirc.

PGC has a Quail Plan to help return Wild Bob's to PA. Stocking Pen Raised birds at the same time would not help at all. If you want to hunt pen raised birds then go to a preserve. If you want to hunt wild quail in PA one day join a PF or QF chapter in your area.

Pen Raised Quail have lost their breeding instincts. PA has lost most of it's quail habitat. Fix the habitat to help the PGC with their plan. It really is the only way to sustain bobwhite hunting for the future.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Angus,
What is the update on the PGC Quail plan? The PGC doesn't even know if we truly have any wild quail and why the wild population disappeared. It would be very long term. The wild pheasant areas look promising but they may only become refuges....hunting those areas may not even be viable...we are already close to 7 years into this...
To answer your other questions....Stocking pen raised birds would get hunters interested in quail. People enjoy hunting pen raised pheasants. Hunting at a preserve is expensive. I'd rather see the PGC diversify their stockings like NJ. I think we can do both....work on wild quail populations and stock pen raised ones for recreation.

Why have a closed season in SEPA? If the PGC isn't going to stock them, up the limits....therefore, we can release them ourselves...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:38 AM

Yes, the pen raised quail won't last a week. We have released over a thousand quail in Chester County. No cover, no birds. We released them in the middle of about 25,000 acres of preserved private property and not a bird to be had shortly after. I have gone back and worked dogs after the releases and not much left but feather piles. Same for released pheasants on the same properties.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page