Under Cover Farmers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Under Cover Farmers

Anyone who is serious about a healthy future for wildlife and agriculture should watch this video;
Under Cover Farmers

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Under Cover Farmers

That was fascinating - thanks for posting. One thing I like is they are teaching soil health in schools these days and diversity is the name of the game.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
hdt
Banned

This kind of thinking is what we've needed for a long time. How will the fertilizer interests like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

If you really want to hear something wild, my husband has been reading a book by a guy who was dealing with the problem of desertification which is a real problem around the world, where all agriculture and most wildlife grinds to a halt. The traditional method of dealing with desertification is to reduce the number of animals grazing, with the reasoning that overgrazing is causing the desertification. He saw how reducing grazing didn't seem to help the problem, it just made it worse, so he thought maybe increasing the number of grazing animals would help or was at least worth a try. Turns out that introducing more animals to feed on limited ground cover reverses desertification in some areas because off all that the animals contribute to soil health. I bet here it's the same principle on a smaller scale - they don't talk about animal population health in this video (except the worms ), but I bet it makes a difference to have all those critters hanging around even if it's counterintuitive and even if they eat some of the corn.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2013, 10:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

cmr, I liked the video but I need more info on the timing of planting the row crops. Can the cover crop be left in the field long enough to hatch out birds (end of May)? How late can you plant and still have enough season to get mature corn and beans?

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lynn,
From what I can tell in watching the Under Cover Farmers video it appears that the multi species cover crops are often planted in the fall and flattened in April before being planted with a mono cash crop. Some cover cropp systems plant cover crops and leave it stand and grow right in with the cash crop. In some instances diverse cover crops are planted and left to grow one or more full annual cycles before being planted on top with a mono crop. I thought the same thing about the spring planting but it is certainly a better system than what is commonly used in today's industrial AG techniques with fields of mud or little cover for much of the year along with heavy herbicide and pesticide use. The cover crop system encourages more life and fertility in natural ways. The more sustainable systems such as these have a potential to also encourage more wildlife with some encouragement in that direction. I think that more wildlife conservation groups should back and encourage these more sustainable AG systems.

See http://www.brownsranch.us/?id=13
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

WestPhillyFam

A few weeks ago I posted a link to a Ted Talks video on the subject of desertification in agriculture. See;
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...36#Post3004636

Yes these ideas are similar and some sustainable ag techniques also incorporate the use of herd animals, mainly cattle, to flatten the cover crops. The North Dakota Browns Ranch which was also mentioned in the Under Cover Farmers video relies heavily on the use of grazing animals to generate soil health and higher dollar yields of higher quality food per acre of sustainably managed ag acres. The Brown's Ranch has seen a significant increase in pheasant and wildlife numbers since adopting the sustainable AG techniques. See http://www.brownsranch.us/

The main drawback or complaint to the sustainable AG techniques are that they require more time and labor but those efforts are eventually offset by higher yields / profits and a more stable ag production system which is more drought tolerant, disease and insect resistant. These systems also produce higher quality foods, healthier soils, water, environment and wildlife populations.

It seems to me that the additional time and effort is worth it.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Frequent Contributor

I know of many bare fields that can benefit from a winter cover crop.
I just feel sorry for the NC bunnies who thought they found Eden and then get rolled!

Hunting hobby ended, now I'm a fly fisherman!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page