Speaking of Wild Pheasants.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Speaking of Wild Pheasants....

Brought this up before...but here it is again...

Alot of the pheasant restoration focus is on type of habitat cover. Has anyone put any thought into the connection of calcium/limestone and pheasants. It is no coincidence that the Washingtonville/Limestoneville/Montour WPRA area was a "pheasant mecca" in the 60's. (Think egg viability)

I think a study of pheasant numbers in the mid-west part of the country and the soil makeup (ie. limestone concentration)would open many peoples eyes.

A look at the link between no-till farming and access to limestone/calcium by the birds is something that might prove very interesting.

Read this.... Relationship of Calcium to Pheasant Populations

And this excerpt from another article..."In 1961, a Minnesota biologist superimposed a map of calcium bearing soil over the pheasant range. He noticed that ringnecks and calcerous soils were most common in the southwestern part of the state, while both were lacking in southeastern countries. A two-year study in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, found similar results."

<span style="color: #FF0000">Edit...ADDITIONAL THOUGHT...</span>Also think about how CREP and CRP might have actually had a negative impact on pheasants. The "Soil Bank" program initiated in the early 60's (CRP predecessor)removed plowed land from Pennsylvania's acreage. Less land turned over by plows for farming may have lead to less access to calcium/limestone by the birds.....and a degradation of egg viability. Food for thought?????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:55 PM
The Man

Re: Speaking of Wild Pheasants....

Something must be going on here in S.W. PA, because I've been seeing more and more of them around. I saw one dead along the road today, and have been hearing others frequently.

When in fact, I haven't seen one in years.

I hope they're making a come back.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They are making a comeback!

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 09:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

The mineral factor has been known and considered as a pheasant success component since Hector was a pup.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-03-2013, 11:13 PM
hdt
Banned

Maybe the increase in the amount of private land closed to hunters has helped the birds.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have read information about the limestone connection before. It is true that the Central Susquehanna WPRA is in a good limestone area. There's a town in the WPRA called Limestoneville for Pete's sake However, limestone doesn't help keep the predators of their back like switchgrass does.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Lynn, Am I to understand from your post that the 6 month, per year, dog training ban/restriction will stay in effect for an additional 3 years???????????

The training of dogs, in a WPRA, has not been the problem with the successful reintroduction of the birds.

The basic problem(s) are much more serious than any dogs training issue!!!!!!!
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Lynn,

I understand the hurdles that yourself and P.F. had to overcome to get the population started. I feel that you have done great things with the program and your efforts are appreciated.

My angst with the program has always been what is the final objective of the program. If it is to create a huntable population then I feel your success will be limited or short lived. There simply is not enough land to sustain a huntable population that could handle the onslaught of all the hunters that want to hunt wild pheasants in PA. This means that the program will either fail or be very limiting in allowing hunter access.

The historic numbers of pheasants in that area of Montour county was due to a number of perfect situations that existed back in the 60's/early 70's. These situations ie. habitat, farming practices, predator numbers, hunting pressure have all changed. Your program relies heavily on habitiat and habitat type. Habitat is not going to create a huntable population. You are obviously succeeding in creating a wild bird population, but it is a microcosm and extremely suceptable to failure because of other factors.

The land in the program is also subject to changes in regards to farming. Does Government subsidy of ethanol and the increase in corn production and corn prices threaten the makeup of the habitat in the WPRA? Are there any guarantees to keep this land in switch grass?

I truly believe that the major change that ended the historic numbers of pheasants in this area was no-til farming. The increase in no-til and the soil bank program directly limited bird access to calcium for viable egg production. The link between pheasants and calcium/limestone I believe is much larger than most realize.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 02:54 PM

Hard to support the effort when so much restriction in WPRAs is placed on dog training. With that in mind I DO NOT want to see more acreage become WPRAs which is why I don't support PF, I'm not going to finance (be it even indirectly) more bird dog owners getting fleeced out of places to train let alone run their dogs. That right there is the deal breaker, a real stinker and my only beef.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDublin
The mineral factor has been known and considered as a pheasant success component since Hector was a pup.

How old is Hector these days??

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page