Birds before the snow and ice comes - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Birds before the snow and ice comes

I won't be able to make it out to Onpoint like I planned due to the weather. So I took the dogs out this morning to give them a run in an area that holds some liberated quail and holdover pheasants. It didn't take long for Nittany and Blitz to get birdy. They worked the edge of some switchgrass before heading into the woods. I didn't follow them but just watched from a distance before two hens flushed out of the woods. Here is the area they were working:

We moved on and worked some other cover and a food plot without finding anything. After working a different area of switchgrass I came across this:

I know there are still birds around here. We keep working and the dogs start working some scent. Before they can pin the bird a rooster flushes 50-75 yards away and I was able to snap this picture:

The dogs worked some more after this in the wooded area and Nittany was able to find another hen.

It may be a little hard to see him but he's in there.

I was hoping to find some quail but I think they are into the thicker cover waiting for the snow to come. I threw some feed out for them to help get them through the storm. I'll have to try to find them in a few days after it is not so icy out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Re: Birds before the snow and ice comes

We have nothing here yet and got the dogs worked this morning. Interesting in the one quail was in front of Max and as I was walking to flush, a hawk came in behind me and hit the quail. I jumped it and it flew away in a cloud of feathers and the quail flew quickly back to the pen. He did not know haw close he was to somebody's lunch. The hawk flew to a perch and sat and watched for hald an hour!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-26-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Birds before the snow and ice comes

That would have been something to see. Lucky quail.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page