Did anyone get out today? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Did anyone get out today?

The wind is something!!! I really wanted to get out with Willie somewhere, but just couldn't do it today. The wind was whipping around here and dead trees and limbs concern me in this type of weather.

Sure would have been nice to run Willie today. I won't get another chance until next Saturday. That's too many days without hunting for Willie. He's gonna be a little ball of energy for the holidays.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 PM

Re: Did anyone get out today?

I was able to get out with a few friends for what has become our annual Christmas break hunt. We hunted a mix of quail, chukar and pheasants at a preserve. The dogs did well but the wind sure made things interesting. We were able to find all of the birds (some were found more than once due to poor shooting, I won't name names). We also got a extra bird or two up during the day and also pushed out a red fox. All the birds flew well and we realy enjoyed going after groups of quail. At the end of the last field I started to unload the gun when Blitz went on point. I reloaded and went in for the flush after everybody was in a good position. A rooster flushed and I let it go so my buddy could have a nice crossing shot. Two shots and two misses later that bird locked its wings and was gone with the wind. I'll be able to get the dogs out again at the end of next week for a two days of hunting. Good luck next week.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Frequent Contributor

4 buddies and myself got out with my Lab and GSP for late season pheasants. The day started slow but we ended with 12 birds flushed. They sure were holding tight with the wind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Glad you guys got out and had a good time. I took my daughter to a friends house where they were butchering a steer instead.

I never would have guessed that hunting would be good in the conditions we had today.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 PM

I was out at 7 AM this morning. it was windy but the boys did well. the 1st flush I needed 2 shots to bring the bird down.
on the 2nd flush I was totally unaware & when I saw the bird it was to late to shoot
I had some things that needed to be done so I headed for home at 9 am.

NRA life member
DU member
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Part of the Community

Not sure if this is just a "bird" thread but 5 of us got out this morning after rabbits. I thought we must have been crazy for going and almost cancelled with the guys at 6 AM but it turned out to be a fine day. The group harvested 4, saw 8, and the lone beagle ran well, with 2 of the 4 harvests being run by her.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake24
Not sure if this is just a "bird" thread but 5 of us got out this morning after rabbits. I thought we must have been crazy for going and almost cancelled with the guys at 6 AM but it turned out to be a fine day. The group harvested 4, saw 8, and the lone beagle ran well, with 2 of the 4 harvests being run by her.
Not just a bird thread.

Congrats on getting out there and having a fine day. I'm jealous.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-22-2012, 11:22 PM

The heavy wind can make things interesting. At times you will get a point and the bird is a good distance from the dog and then it will take you some time to pinpoint where the bird is. And then later when the dog is working he may bust birds because the wind blew all the scent away from him. It won't take long for those birds to get up in the wind and be long gone. I have hunted several times in heavy wind and things usually go better than I expected. The dogs never seem to mind the wind.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 AM

I went out with my chocolate lab, for pheasant. was near Blairsville, westmoreland county. My dog got birdy a couple of times but no flushes. Man it was breezy a couple of times. My lab is pushing 11 and I wanted to get her out. She prefers this weather though to warmer weather. May try and get out again. Didnt get out until noon.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Frequent Contributor

Got out from 10:00-2:00 tracked and flushed two, no shot on either. Dang windy, but with snow on the ground just could not resist.

pullin strings, flingin flies and scraping stones...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page