.410 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Do any of you guys use a 410? i found one a couple weeks ago for a great price, it a mossberg m150b bolt action probly mid 50s due to the fact it does not have serial# iv cleaned it to show room condition and its verry nice, Now I bought rem #4 high brass exspress 3 inch and at 20 yards i got about 10 pellets on a beer can, 25 yards about 5, and at 30 it was un touched! ha im going to buy #6 high brass next time i should get 60 more pelets, do any of you have exspirence paterning a 410? its a very tight choke, what would you recomend? i dont want too light... i did get a nice large squirell yesterday from 25feet and it worked perfectly, does #6 penetrate better than #4? when i skin sqirels that i shoot with 4 or 5 most pelets are right under the skin and they roll out, wich i kid of like... basicly im just lookin for a bit more range, thanks

Coyote-1
Ground hog-o
Crow-1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Banned

Re: .410

4s will penetrate further then 6s they have more energy in each pellet but less pellets. If you want to shoot a 410 they are fun gun and I shot one for rabbits all the time out of a .410 contender I shot handloaded Nicole plated 6s. The 410s make it a little harder with less pellets but there really is not much of a difference in the velocity of each pellet and energy of each pellet compared to the larger gauges. The only difference is the amount of them going through the air. They are a great rabbit , squirrel, quail and grouse gun in my opinion. My nephew also took two spring gobblers two year in a row with a full choked one shooting hand loaded itx extreme turkey trauma shotshells.

The pattern you are getting seems a little on the open side if it is a right choke full barrel like you are saying. That sounds more like a modified but every gun patterns different.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM

I envy guys that CAN shoot a 410 well.

over the years I have gone from the 12 to the 16,then to the 20 and now I use a 28 gauge for upland hunting.
I had picked up a Stevens 410 pump & used it for 2 seasons. I struggled with it,missing a lot more than hitting so it went to a new owner and I am back using the 28.
I love the 28.

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yea i didnt buy it to be better than anything, I have an 870 wingmaster 12 i just want to use this for what it is, i had a 410 double barrle as a kid and shot clays with my dad and uncle, i didnt know anything different and i would break clays often for a kid, so it couldnt as bad as some make it. I got a squirel from 30ft easily and didnt move an inch. i wont take it out for pheasant its just a squirel rabbit gun. it would take a phesant in close quarters deffinitly withon 20yards, the number 4 buckshot from federal patterns relly tight at 15 yards

Coyote-1
Ground hog-o
Crow-1
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yea i didnt buy it to be better than anything, I have an 870 wingmaster 12 i just want to use this for what it is, i had a 410 double barrle as a kid and shot clays with my dad and uncle, i didnt know anything different and i would break clays often for a kid, so it couldnt as bad as some make it. I got a squirel from 30ft easily and didnt move an inch. i wont take it out for pheasant its just a squirel rabbit gun. it would take a phesant in close quarters deffinitly withon 20yards, the number 4 buckshot from federal patterns relly tight at 15 yards

Coyote-1
Ground hog-o
Crow-1
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Have fun with your .410 , Arc. The first gun I ever used was a .410 handed down from my Grandpa. I really miss that gun. Mine was so old it only shot the 2 1/2 inch shells!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've owned a couple of 410s...an 1100 and a Citori.
Owned them long enough to rate their value to doves and skeet targets.
While any fragile bird like a woodcock will fall to them at a short distance, rabbits may be perfect and tough birds die with cracked skulls.....I never miss those 410s, especially reloading the little darlings.
For most gamebirds, 410s carry an ethical don't use label as the particulars of a shot seldom are controlled well enough for the narrow range of effectiveness of the 410....bad stuff happens easily to a 410's load afield., especially when overchoked.

4s will have a pretty small pellet count and high antimony 6s are likely a better tradeoff more often...in a good 410 shell.
Squirrels tho may be the exception for 4s in a 410, what with their tough hide.
If you want a good 410 shell look to Polywad's Gram Crak-Rs.
They come in 6s, I believe, and either chamber length.

410 is basically for fun but is not a toy.
It can kill, it can also wound.
All shells are that way but the 410 is a several steps ahead of the others in the latter.
Be judicious in it's use and avoid barbershop dreams of glory with it...any game deserves more respect.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2012, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Iv determined its range at about 75 ft on game much of my squirels and rabbits are much closer i took a squirel no problem from 30 ft, i hunt squirels to case skin and tan the hide, same thing with rabbits but i like eating rabbits too, my 12 has bown rabbits in half this year making them a total loss. some consider the 410 a taxidermist gun and thats exactly why i like it.

Coyote-1
Ground hog-o
Crow-1
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Our entire group of rabbit hunters use nothing but 410s. I use a stevens 311c SxS shooting high brass 6 shot. I have used nothing but a 410 for so long that I actually have trouble hitting rabbits with anything larger. I'm so use to being able to swing the gun faster and getting on the rabbit faster that I either shoot behind them with a 12 ga or can't even get the gun shouldered in time. I don't find that I wound rabbits with the 410 either. It seems that I either drop them where I shoot or miss completely. To me the 410 is the perfect gun for hunting rabbits in the brush and I am much more successful with them than any other ga shotgun.

<span style="color: yellow">Trying to understand women is like trying to smell the color nine. -Ferrell</span>
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yea rabbits are most always 5 ft infront of me when they take off and stop at like 12 ft away i wouldnt rather use anything eles in that situation. are you using winchester super x #6? i got some will try it tommarrow, how much do you pay i gace up 21$ and think that was rediculas.

Coyote-1
Ground hog-o
Crow-1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page