Grouse...and other miscellaneous questions... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Grouse...and other miscellaneous questions...

I headed out to Allegheny NF this past Friday afternoon for some grouse hunting. For my first time in the area (I'm from Ohio)had a fairly productive day. Ended up without about 8 flushes, and one bird in the bag in 3 or so hours of hunting. This trip has me looking forward to a couple return trips in the late season. Just wondering if you guys in PA notice a considerable drop in flushes during the late season. I hunt Michigan often, and the late season there in years past tends to be pretty rough in terms of finding birds in numbers.
Question 2- How many of you when grouse hunting carry a back up sidearm? I generally carry a snubnose .44 mag as an "emergency" gun. However, this past weekend while hunting I left it home. I have an Ohio conceal carry permit. Ohio and PA do not have a "reciprocity" agreement. My understanding of the PA law is that for me to carry a side arm while grouse hunting in the ANF, I need either a conceal permit, or a sportsman's permit. Is my understanding of the law correct on this, even if I open carry? I don't think I fully understand the Sportsman's permit. Can someone explain how that works?
Thanks in Advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 06:41 PM

Re: Grouse...and other miscellaneous questions...

NJP158,
Although the Grouse numbers go down a little in the later
part of the season, here on the northern tier, which includes the Allegheny NF where you were hunting, we have a very stable Grouse population, and the 2nd season can actually provide better Grouse hunting than the 1st part of the year. Less Grouse hunters in the woods with the Grouse holding tighter, with the snow and cold weather, makes for some fine Grouse hunting.

Question #2, I am not sure you are correct about the Reciprocity agreement, I would need to check this out on the Pa Reciprocity list. At any rate I do carry a side arm here in the Pa forests, large enough to stop a bear, especially when I am carrying a light 28 Guage Grouse gun, during the later part of the season. I also carry slugs for the shotgun I am hunting with. Our Pa permit to carry concealed allows a Pa hunter to carry concealed, without having to purchase a special hunting permit for it. Never had a sportsmans permit, so I can not help you with that part of the Pa Law. If I were you I would call the PGC and have it all explained in detail.

Pine Creek/Dave

Note my Retierment hand gun on the table in it's holster, a .45/.410 SS Waco Derringer, it travels with me everywhere I go.

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 07:37 PM

NJP158,
About the only difference I've noticed in grouse behavior in the later season is that they will often group up that time of year. Depending on the weather and current food source you may find them in different cover than earlier as well.

As far as carrying a 'back up' gun while bird hunting. Not sure what the purpose would be. If I can't hit the grouse with a 20 ga. shotgun I wouldn't have any chance at them with a 44 mag. pistol. Just kidding of course but why the 'back up'? You already have a shotgun in your hands and we don't have any dangerous game here in western pa. Just curious, the ANF is not exactly a high crime area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

I never would carry a handgun as a Mitty backup when hunting ruffed grouse.
Never see the need in the U.P. where I have seen a wolf and tracks of wolves, Yoopers and tracks of Yoopers....and most certainly not in the Apps.
A snare cutter, etc.....Yes. Going Dick Tracy...No.
Water...Yes. Nunchucks...No.

"Late season" means different things to different people.
True late season of February as in your Ohio's past is bad....January late season much less so....especially if terrain and weather limit hunter additivity and affect.
In Michigan, weather is the real factor in controlling late season access to much of their grouse woods...the opposite of Ohio's season-long lack of access problems.
Therefore...Ohio's wise but too late move of season shortening.

Naturally, grouse will be influenced by demands upon them and elements from which they will benefit.
Birds will be located and found in numbers based upon those two factors...out of many factors.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

If legal I would always carry a sidearm. I have a LTCF and see no reason to not carry it grouse or any other hunting

2D

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...

Pray for our troops, and for our country

God Bless America
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Late season...I agree with what everyone else said....One note...when the snow is crunchy, I don't bother going out...

Carry a knife instead...If your are going to die in the woods...die like a man in H2H with a bear or wolf

post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thanks for the info all. As to the comments of the sidearms....I worry about two legged creatures as much as four legged. As I said before, I have not yet spent much time hunting ANF. However, I plan to. I think your state does a great job of managing the habitat, and wish my state would take some notes. Also, as to the people I've had a chance to talk with, everyone has been very helpful, polite and respectful....lol...of course with the occasionally Ohio/PA ribbing which I can fully appreciate. It is a much closer drive (2 hrs) than my usual grouse hunting forays to Michigan, etc. This being said I try to learn from past experiences. I've spent a considerable amount of time in the woods hunting, backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing, etc., in a variety of places including Kentucky, Arizona, California, Nevada, West Virginia, Michigan, PA, Oregon, Texas and a host of others. While out there I've ran into meth-heads, bear and moose. Although never actually running into them, I've seen signs of what I believe to be wolves, moonshiners, people growing pot and folks trying to illegally sneak into this country. Now obviously, not all locations are the same. LOL...I doubt Mexican drug cartels are running around the ANF, as they could be in the Arizona dessert. But it wouldn't surprise me if somewhere out in the middle of the ANF, some scumbag was making meth. Thats what I worry about more than bears, wolves etc. However, if your going to carry a gun, why not have something that will also work on bears/wolves etc. while out in there habitat? These things don't worry me enough to illegally carry a sidearm while in your state obviously, hence a partial reason for this post..to understand the law more clearly. This being said, if Ohio had reciprocity with PA (which they don't), I absolutely would carry while grouse hunting. As I said earlier, you all have a great thing going in PA. It's probably kind of hard to see how great it is unless your from a state like Ohio who has completely let their upland hunting fall by the wayside. Because of the opportunites afforded to outdoorsman here, I probably will pursue a carry license for PA in the future. I agree that the chances of having to use it are very slim in the ANF, where I plan to spend most of time, but I just can't see a situation where I would regret having it. Perhaps my view is biased from having spent time in places where threats, especially the two legged kind are greater.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM

NJP,
Never regret your 2nd Amendment rights, they keep you free. Your view is correct, this has never been a tame world.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:01 PM

I'm certainly not questioning your right to exercise your 2nd Amendment rights. If you're worried and concerned for your safety then by all means carry the thing. I was thinking more of the inconvenience of having 2 1/2 pounds of steel hanging on me while bird hunting...that's all.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:31 PM

Wingshot,
I do agree with your point, carring a light side arm while Grouse hunting is definitely the way to go. No need for all the extra weight when putting on some serious miles, in the Grouse woods. Now however there are good light side arms to carry, granted they do cost money however. People who are trying to influence you away from carring a good side arm while hunting and call them Mitty back ups and such, most times believe you should not really own a hand gun, in the 1st place. Might want to think twice before taking any advise from them, on subject what so ever.
Pine Creek/Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page