my 2012 season thoughts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2012, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

my 2012 season thoughts

this season has been excellent with a few disappointments.

plus side:
the pheasant hunting was fantastic
the dog work was great !

the down side:
my shooting was terrible !
we saw only 3 woodcock (I think Sandy may have pushed the birds through)
did not really get to any good grouse spots,only flushed 1 bird
my springer started to limp on the last day of the season so I had to cut the hunt shorter than planned

looking forward to the second season even though I will have very little time to get out.

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2012, 12:37 AM

Re: my 2012 season thoughts

The pheasant hunting was great. I got into birds and got birds every time I went out. My springers are having a blast. I haven't been able to connect on a grouse yet this season either. I was only able to get shots off at 3 this year. the rest offered not shots. I only saw a handful of woodcock and they were all after LST as I was walking to my car with gun unloaded.
I have been having a good year on ducks and geese though. Not huge numbers, but we have stayed on birds.
Good luck in the second season. Its usually better for grouse for me.

Every bird I bag is a beautiful poignant thing. - Charles Fergus
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 03:50 PM

bad primer,
The season this year has been great, the Grouse hunting has been fantastic, not many Woodcock however due to Sandy,
I shot a few Pheasants both stocked and one wild. The dog work has been simply fantastic, my shooting percentage this year has been very high, and I shot a true mixed double on Grouse and Woodock in the covert where I learned to hunt
long ago. I hope the old man lets this season continue it the manner that it started, its like Grouse and Woodcock hunting, in the 50's and 60's right now and I enjoy the memories and the great dog work. Couple of the younger guys
have been giving me the evil eye, especially after shooting
the true mixed double, the one young man who watched me do it, said now that is just not fair. I had to laugh, he had missed 3 Grouse that day prior to watching me shoot my double. I had to drop both those birds my Gordon and Ryman dogs worked so hard setting them up for me. That Black & Tan dominant female Gordon would have bit my leg, if I would have missed either of those shots, in fact if I would have been a might quicker, I do believe I could have taken them both with one shot. Even my buddy Ken did a double take on the one Grouse I swung 180 degress to shoot down, just before he took his Woodock. The season has been fantastic here, on the northen tier, no doubt about it.
Pine Creek/Dave

Penny with the mixed double

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-27-2012, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

it`s good to hear others are having a good season.

Pine Creek, congratulations on the mixed double !

Springspan, way to go on the pheasant,ducks & geese.

I was disappointed in not seeing many woodcock because that makes no shooting at any, 4 years in a row for me.

as for my shooting, I will be practicing more next year because I just checked my journal.
besides going home with an empty game bag a number of times,I used 3 boxes of shells this season.
I shot 2.5862 shells per bird.

I am not seeing many ducks or geese where I`m at. I hope it picks up a little.

good luck to all in the second season !

NRA life member
DU member
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 06:32 PM
New Arrival

31 rabbits
8 squirrel
1 ringneck saw 16 one day but hunt rabbits with empty gun
1 6 point buck
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 08:07 PM

The early season was very good. The dogs only found one woodcock but it was pointed nicely. We spent a lot of time chasing the ringnecks and had a blast doing it. I took a few friends out plus a couple of youth hunters and all were able to take a bird or two over the dogs. We saw over 70 pheasants while out hunting which was great. I'm thinking about traveling to the northern part of the state to try to find some grouse or late season pheasants. Good luck to all!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I spent the first part of the season chasing grouse, although none were brought to hand, I still consider it a success, as far as a wild bird intro for my setter and time out in the woods with my son.

Bwire, let me know if you want to head to northern tier, angus and I hope to put together a late season grouse hunt. Maybe the SCPA contingent of HPA will invade the northern tier????

Good luck to everyone in the late season.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 PM

Lost,
We have all kinds of out of state Guys and Gals coming here to Grouse hunt, hay you southern Pa Guys and Gals are more than welcome, have fun and enjoy!
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page