Last Day Roosters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Last Day Roosters

These two roosters were taken on the last day of the regular season. It was a little windy today but it was a great last day. The day also included the 10 shot rooster. We had five hunters and four dogs moving in a line through a field of switch grass and goldenrod. A rooster flushed by the first guy in line and flew in front of the entire field from the right to the left. Each hunter had 2 shots at this bird which was picking up a good tail wind as he went (our only lame excuse ) and when the shooting was over the bird was still flying. Quite a sight to behold followed by some good belly laughter.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM

Re: Last Day Roosters

Lynn,
Looks like you gentlemen had a real nice outing, I can remember the men driving birds in Lancaster County when I was in college, I would sit on the hill side with my dog and watch them drive the fields on the Masonic farm, the shooting was something to see. After they would leave I would take the Weimar and
hunt the birds they broke up, it was fun no doubt about it.
I would find a few birds to give back to them, that had been killed and few away escaping their drive.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pine,

I prefer to hunt in smaller groups like 2 or 3 hunters but the 2 of us ran into a group of 3 other hunters we knew and we decided to join forces. It worked well for me as I limited out in a half hour. When the fields are large and the birds are few sometimes it helps to work together.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Oh no....you're shooting skills are starting to rub off on others!!!

Sounds like a great hunt, and they are some nice looking Roosters. It's been a great year. Give Lilly an extra treat for a job well done.

Any reports on the wild birds in the WPRA?

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:12 PM

Nice job!!!

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 PM

Nice work.

I was able to get out for the last day as well. I wasn't planning on going out but my wife said I should take the dogs out. Nittany and Blitz had a couple points on some hens to start off the morning.

A little later they had a point on a rooster in a wooded section. I dropped him and Nittany made the retrieve. It was a good way to end the season.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:06 PM

bwire,
Glad you got the dogs out the last day of Pheasant.
I was not able to do the same, and I really wanted too.
Great to see a couple V dogs doing so well, we trained a bunch of them in CT years ago, don't see as many as we use to. Love the discipline picture with the dogs sitting under the bird on the sign, fantatic stuff.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks Pine-Creek. I'm sure you will find some more time to get out later in the year.

I don't see many other vizslas when I'm out. I think there may be a couple around York but I have not seen them for a while.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLDBRED
Oh no....you're shooting skills are starting to rub off on others!!!

Sounds like a great hunt, and they are some nice looking Roosters. It's been a great year. Give Lilly an extra treat for a job well done.

Any reports on the wild birds in the WPRA?
Good one FLDBRED I knew you'd have a shooting comment. Nothing on the wild birds till flushing surveys. Some of our best farms look really good this year. With the mild winter last year, we're looking for better numbers but we have much work to do to get to where we want to be. This spring will be another busy year of planting. We also have a complete burn plan for a good chunk of the wild bird area. Some of the fields burned last year have come in high and thick.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2012, 10:16 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great Job!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page