Pennsylvania Pride! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pennsylvania Pride!

Small game hunting is a long standing tradition, and I think we are very fortunate to have dedicated and knowledgeable people working to keep that tradition alive. If you are a small game hunter in PA. this year (2012) chances are you are experiencing a very good year, whether your quarry has been rabbit, squirrel, grouse, woodcock, or pheasant.
The squirrel and rabbit population seems to be doing well statewide and there are still sections of the state that offer good flushing rates for grouse. The state has also increased the stocking of ring neck pheasants back to over 200,000 birds, offering countless opportunities for new youth hunters as well as sportsmen wanting to train and hunt with bird dogs. If the number of out of state license plates is any indication, a lot of non residents feel the same way about small game hunting in PA. The PGC has also recently released a Northern Bobwhite Quail Management Plan. While this is a very difficult task, it shows at the very least the mindset of the Game Commission and its commitment to the small game hunter. The Pheasant Management Plan is second to none and moving forward. There are also ongoing habitat programs to benefit grouse and woodcock. I think its easy to see that the small game hunter in PA is well represented.

I would like to thank some people for making small game hunting what it is in PA. today. Some are past, some are present. I am sure there are many more so I apologize for omitting them.

In No Particular Order

Honor Role

Lisa Williams, Wyatt Knepp,
Shon Robbins, Carl G. Roe,
James J. Delaney, Ralph A. Martone,
Dr. Benjamin C. Jones, Bill Palmer
Mark Banker, Eric Miller,
Mike Pruss, Lynn Appleman,
Colleen DeLong, Bob Boyd
Keith Sanford, Scott Klinger,
Tom Hardisky, John Dunn
Cal Dubrok, Carl Riegner

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Pennsylvania Pride!

Banker?......

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 PM

Thanks for sharing the names. I recognize some but not all of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 PM
Nes

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDublin
Banker?......
Mark Banker was the Biologist for Ruffed grouse Society up until about 2 years ago. Linda Ordiway now fills that position.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Sage

Not withstanding increased stocking of pheasant and some success in some WPRA's... I think much more needs to be addressed in small game overall...

The State just shut down snowshoe hare hunting in much of the State. I can't fault that decision but neither will applaud the effort put forth in that area. I fail to notice any work in squirrel habitat other than a nesting box or two in a gameland I hunted down by Allenwood. I visit a few gamelands and that was the only squirrel boxes I have ever seen. Nor do I hear of or read any projects dedicated to habitat improvement of the number one small game animal.

I have seen effort in habitat improvement for grouse and woodcock which is worthy of praise..

But most of what I hear, see, read about is pheasants wild and stocked... Mainly stocked. Many projects thoughout the State for increased habitat especially dedicated to pheasant... even tho the stocking programs have not and are not designed to increase a self sustaining population.

While I do take my hat off to the folks on the above list for their efforts collectively and as individuals; I hope no ones arm gets too tired from slapping them on the back as some aspects of small game habitat are in dire need of improvement...and I'm not seeing the effort nor the monies put forth in those areas.

wmu 3A
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nes
Quote:
Banker?......
Mark Banker was the Biologist for Ruffed grouse Society up until about 2 years ago. Linda Ordiway now fills that position.

Yes, I know well who Banker is....not the reason for the ?.

I do not see Gary Alt on the list...he did more to help both small game and Habitat in Pennsylvania as anyone.
Pa. needs more Gary Alts.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nes
Quote:
Banker?......

I do not see Gary Alt on the list...he did more to help both small game and Habitat in Pennsylvania as anyone.

The horizon is your starting point.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Good post Fldbred, your right. The people that I have had communication with at the PGC seem to have a genuine interest in small game hunting, and I appreciate that.

Most of the time I see hunters from our neighboring States come to PA for small game, and not the other way around. That speaks volumes. I personally have had the opportunity to hunt many other states including most of the western States, and you will not hear me complaining about good ol PA. With a little effort, the opportunity is here.

CN
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nes
Quote:
Banker?......

Old Dublin,
While I agree with your note about Gary Alt, I have to come to Mark Banker's defense. He was RGS's PA biologist for over a decade and was instrumental in bringing thousands of acres of PA land (mostly private land that's open to hunting) into active management - meaning they're actually cutting trees to create grouse and woodcock habitat. There are too many places across the state where that can't be said.

In the interest of full disclosure, Mark's also a good friend of mine so I'm always going to jump in on his behalf. But friendship or no, he's a been a good man for PA hunters to have on their side and definitely belongs on this list.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

RGS has done some good in some places, notwithstanding any biologist employed to fill a vacancy.
Concentration on Private as opposed to Corporate land in areas where Private is isolated and grouse cover fragmented...is a bad idea but super for Grip & Grin photo ops.
Many may disagree.

Banker's inability to address a comment regarding his ruffed grouse conclusions which were based upon a very small set of findings at a S WVa RGS meeting....was not a stellar moment for him.
I'm sure he is a fine fella....but he also choose the wrong situation and audience in which to make a poor joke re the RGS/Mead WVa Grouse Permit.
He was directly involved, or so he said at the time, in setting up that fiasco and one flaw was the poor communication between all participants....especially the bums holding the deer lease.

It's admirable to stand up for a friend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page