need to vent - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
The Man

need to vent

Not wanting to start an argument. But I need to vent. So I go to the SGL'S this morning not knowing they stocked yesterday(found out off of a hunter a ran into). Wasn't into the hunt for 5 minutes when my springer flushes a double. Both flew back towards the parking area where my truck and another truck where parked. Not taking the chance of shooting. Ok no big deal. As I proceed to hunt I find several piles of feathers on the paths,thru out the area I'm hunting,along with spent shells only a few yards from them. Obvious how these birds where taken. Guys just standing waiting on the birds to be released from the truck. So I go to another area of the game lands only to find the same thing. I turn around and head back to the truck in disgust only to have my dog get on a bird. It's a runner and I see it run out of the brush and down the path. I won't shoot them on the ground. My dog follows it and flushes it. It flys towards the road,so no shot from me. So OK 3 in the air and no shots,that's fine with me. I know that a lot of guys don't have dogs and have as much right as I do to hunt pheasants. But come on,what sport is there in shooting them sitting on the ground right out of the truck? I can't imagine there is much good meat left on those birds. But I guess if that's what you like,have at it. It's not for me. I just wish there was a better way the birds could be stocked. Ok go ahead and chew on me.

Greene County Tom

As far as I'm concerned,hunting is nothing without a dog to share it with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Re: need to vent

At least you saw some. Around here, I see one maybe every three years.

There is always a problem with pen raised birds and their degree of "flight readiness." If they were released in August the foxes would have most of them by hunting season.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM

I hear you. Still, it's legal, and those are stocked birds. Oh well, I'm glad you saw some, and better luck next time.

2B, Central Ohio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Part of the Community

there is a better way. stock them on sundays. that will elimanate following the stock truck and shooting them right away. just my 2 cents.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:06 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if you hunt birds or catch fish that come out of a truck you are going to have hunters or fisherman use the stocking point as an easy way to get fodder for a hero shot.

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa smitty
there is a better way. stock them on sundays. that will elimanate following the stock truck and shooting them right away. just my 2 cents.
I don't think stocking Sundays will help. Monday mornings would be crazy every week. Stocking unknown days is working pretty well. On our local gamelands they have put birds out Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. There seems to be a good distribution of birds and if you put some time in you should get some birds up any day of the week.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

They should stop stocking altogether. Hunting preserves will spring up and the wild transferred birds won't cross breed with the mutants.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynnappelman
Quote:
Originally Posted by pa smitty
I don't think stocking Sundays will help. Monday mornings would be crazy every week. Stocking unknown days is working pretty well. On uour local gamelands they have put birds out Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. There Iseems to be a good distribution of birds and if you put some time in you should get some birds up any day of the week.
This will slow down when the PGC. Stops giving out the day and the exact time of day. I have no idea what Lynn's. Talking about unknown my a...

As Charles Barkley says, "I may be wrong, but I doubt it".
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I used to help with the stocking in NJ,and it works pretty well. What we did was distribute the birds with the main truck to the stocking locations. At these stocking locations volunteers with smaller trucks and jeeps would wait to after legal shooting hours and distribute the bird throughout the game lands. There was just enough light to see what you were doing, but not enough for legal hunting. We would then take the empty crates to a local spot and switch with the game truck on the next stocking day. Never had a problem with people wanting to shoot birds we just released, because it was past legal shooting hours.It actually works pretty well.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Banned

Horse hockey! We aren't anywhere close to the point where wild birds will be in such numbers that stocked birds willhave any impact on them. AS much as I would love to se wild pheasants in the numbers we had in the late 50s and early sixties, it isn't going to happen.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page