Pheasants in Gods country - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Pheasants in Gods country

Heading up to camp a little early this year for bear season and would like to take the dog out on the friday before bear season to go after some pheasants. I have a camp in elk county near ridgeway pa and have never bird hunted aside from grouse up there in the past. does anyone have any ways of directions to where to go for them. I dont want to take anyones honey hole and i know this can be a very touchy topic but any rough ideas on where to head would be helpful. Thanks

Game Life Hunters
Cuttin&Gruntin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:11 PM
Sage

Re: Pheasants in Gods country

sgl44 you should do quite well

wmu 3A
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

23,644 acres Is a good chunk of land

Game Life Hunters
Cuttin&Gruntin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Sage

shouldn't be too crowded!!

If ya get lonely look for the food plots and parking areas

FULL DISCLOSURE:

To be honest I've never hunted it... was up on a work day or two and heard pheasants cackling in March...

wmu 3A
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2012, 01:29 PM

There are two large areas of SGL # 44 that are being managed to small game habitat and thus get some pretty good stockings of pheasants. The areas also attract hunters from all over western Penna. and even Ohio and New York but if you have a good dog you should be able to find some birds and good hunting.

To get to the areas you would head south on Route 219 from Ridgway.

One area is off of Shawmut Road (between north of Brandy Camp and Brockport). If you went south on Shawmut Road after about 2.5-3 miles you would see a dirt road to the right that goes up into the Meade Run Tract. At the top of the hill you could park and hunt in any direction and find birds.

To get to the other stocked area go just a little further south to where just as you are entering Brandy Camp you would take and Kersey Road to the left. That road is paved an goes up the hill. Once on top start watching for Kyler Road to go off to the right. Follow that out a short ways to where the game lands signs start. There will be a game lands road to the right that you can drive part ways back. It is all good hunting around you once you get to that intersection.

Good luck!

Dick Bodenhorn
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

thanks Dick... I've heard you have retired. If that's true i hope you've been able to have a good year in the mountains.

Game Life Hunters
Cuttin&Gruntin

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstewart
thanks Dick... I've heard you have retired. If that's true i hope you've been able to have a good year in the mountains.
Yes I am now retired and I am having a great time. I now have time to hunt.

So far this fall I have harvested two DMAP does with the bow and another one with the muzzleloader. I will probably harvest more deer when the gun season and after Christmas seasons get here.

Since small game came in I have hunted pheasants part of everyday but one and harvested 27 pheasants. I think maybe I will start shifting to more grouse hunting but my dog is still young and a pretty big runner for grouse hunting. With his hunting style he is more suited for pheasant than he is for grouse hunting. I will see if I can get him going on grouse as good as he does with pheasants though before we get to the end of the seasons.

Good luck with the local pheasants. There are still plenty of them at those locations I posted. Two of us had 13 flushes in an hour and half today. We would have had a lot more up had we hunted longer but we limited out and leashed the dogs up.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-07-2012, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Its good to hear of your success. Youve put in many years of hardwork and dedication and i wish you the best of luck in the years to come.

Game Life Hunters
Cuttin&Gruntin

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-2012, 12:18 AM

Thank you!

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page