Got my first double today. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Got my first double today.

I've been hunting PA pheasants off and on for 20 years now. I've gotten 2 in a day before, but this is my first real double on the Ditch Chickens.

My pup Willie is learning the ropes and has done well so far this season. He loves his job so much that when he gets out of the truck and hits the woods or fields he is like lightning. Full speed in every direction for about 30 mins or so and then he settles down and starts to work. Well today was no different.

2 mins from the truck Willie was working a big thick fence row. I'm not sure if the birds flushed from the noise he was making or if he bumped them. Either way 2 roosters took flight and I watched them disappear behind a tree line. I had a shot on at least one, but did not shoot without seeing or knowing there was a point.

Willie took off again but I was trying to keep him close at this point with the whistle and "Here". He still got out to about 100 yards in front in a long field and went on point. As I got closer I could see the grass twitching out in front of WIllie. I walked faster to get to him and the rooster flushed when I got to about 40 yards away. I did not take a shot and just watched the rooster fly. I did not want to risk injuring the bird at that distance.

After lots of praise and love Willie took off again. We worked a real thick edge of woods on the left and a thick fence row on the right. There must have been some birds running ahead of us in the fence row because Willie went on point a couple times, but there was nothing there when I went in to flush.

We worked this area around to a creek bottom. As we followed the wood line around to the right Willie caught wind of a bird and went into a wide fence row. Just as he went into the row and turned to his left a rooster flushed out the other side. I did not even see the bird, just heard it.

At this point Willie is probably thinking that i'm dead weight and he should have left me at home, but we continued on.

We worked the woodline and fence row some more. Willie dived into the fence row about 100 yards from the last flush and immediately went on point. I was about 20 yards behind him in the path. I walked up to where he went into the fence row to look for a place to go in. I found a patch of Honey suckle that gave me some room to enter and provide a shot if need be. As I stepped into the Honey suckle there was a fury of action as 3 roosters burst from thick stuff. I put the bead on the first one and down it went. Swung over to the next and down it went as well. I watched the third fly towards the creek bottom.

I was very happy to say the least. My first double and Willies first double. It was a productive day for the freezer and for a young pup learning the ropes. Many memories this day.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 PM

Re: Got my first double today.

Good for you and Willie. It sounds like a day you will remember for a while.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 PM
Sage

Congratulations!!

wmu 3A
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. It was a great day to be out there. And I almost went out for archery instead.

If you enjoy hunting please find a way to give back to the sport. Our children will thank you.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:13 PM
New Arrival

Nice pictures; looks like a great day. Congrats!!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM

you may never have that happened to you again. I know what you mean about what the dogs think I did know whenever I miss game and the dog looks at me its like " I heard the gun boom what's going on?"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Great write up angus, my palms got kinda sweaty just reading about the flush from the honeysuckle.

Congrats to you and Willie on the double.

Lost
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

Hey! Congraulations! I was getting ready to PM you and see how Willie was doing and right there in that picture was my answer. Nice shootin', too.
Tom

Dog Forum Sponsor. http://knobmtnkennel.com/
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 AM
Frequent Contributor

Nice job...good looking pup...

G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page