Ringneck stocking question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Ringneck stocking question

I have never seen ringnecks actually being stocked. Does the PGC truck merely roll up and open a few crates? Do they always drive behind locked gates to do so? If a SGL is located on both sides of a road I would think they could stock from the truck as well. What about using ATV's and hauling birds back yonder to a remote section? Perhaps all methods I just mentioned?

I have often wondered, anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Ringneck stocking question

They just drive the dirt roads on the gamelands and release them..The birds can fly in any direction..They stock them as close to the first day as possible so less are killed by predators so hunters have more to hunt the first day..Then they have stockings in season also..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Steve  Hammel

Look for them along the roads! LOL

Riding or hiding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 07:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

And (seriously), hunt near the parking areas.....

“I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,”
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Frequent Contributor

The guys generally stock them off of PGC administrative roads around here. Most of these roads are behind locked gates, so there is a chance you may be able to find some good hunting a ways from the parking area.

There is no "X" in my bow!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:01 PM
Frequent Contributor

Sounds more like no one really knows, Auld....past the popular worst conclusion of a lazy PGC.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Part of the Community

got out early last week to hunt friday and saturday. we hunted three different gameland hard and did not flush a pheasant. this was with two dogs and four guys and we usually do very well. did anyone else find the same thing with the second week stocking?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Frequent Contributor

they stocked SGL 211 (Clarks Valley) on Friday. Birds were everywhere. My dog throught he died and went to pheasant heaven..
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Part of the Community

This was upstate. Hunted all potter gamelands and tioga
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 03:15 PM

I've been on many stockings. Depending on the area, they may be stocked right from the main road, but normally they try to stock from deep in the field. This, of course, is dependent on ground conditions; they aren't going to be driving off-road this week, that's for sure! Occasionally a bird will just jump out of the crate onto the ground, but most fly like heck. Most fly a couple hundred yards, but I've also seen birds disappear out of sight. They will normally turn and go downwind and/or downhill, which the Food and Cover guys take into account when stocking. If you see a truck stocking, feel free to stop and talk with the guys, they are all very friendly and will answer most any question you ask. Please remember though that they are on a pretty tight schedule and aren't going to be paid overtime, so they try to get back to their headquarters by quitting time, so don't hold them up. If you watch a stock, you'll also notice that these guys are the frequent target of aerial bombardment by the released birds; it's not a clean job stocking pheasants! The Food and Cover personnel are truly committed to improving hunter success and they aren't trying to hide the pheasants from you, as some allege. They are also a wealth of knowledge about where other game is at; they are in the woods every day and I've seen them steer hunters towards some dandy bucks, bear activity, even where they've been putting up a lot of grouse. Just don't jump all over them about things they can't control; I've seen people literally scream at Food and Cover employees about the statewide deer management plan. Food and Cover and Land Management are the 'good guys' of the PGC; they are the ones who are trying their very best to make better hunting for Pennsylvania.

Please support Hunt of A Lifetime! www.huntofalifetime.org

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page