Back from Grouse Hunt (Pic Heavy) - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Back from Grouse Hunt (Pic Heavy)

I just recently got back from a trip to the U.P. to get the dogs a little work on Grouse and Woodcock. PaOutlaw also made the trip along with my dad, future son-in-law, and two other friends. We got into a ton of woodcock as well as a decent amouont of grouse. The birds held well and we got a lot of excellent dog work. The young dogs really did well and the few older dogs on the trip were their consistently good self. Shooting was a challenge most of the times as it seemed the grouse managed to keep an abundant amount of conifers and heavy cover between them and the shooters, however, we did have some success knocking some down. We also managed to bag more than a few woodcocks so the dogs did get some positive reinforcement for their fine work.

Our trip started with arriving at the cabin. A very rustic place but more than comfortable and we certainly couldn't complain about the price since PaOutlaws extended family offered it to use for free for as long as we wished to stay or until deer season opened. Whatever came first.

Here are a few pictures of the accommodations.

Looking at the cabin from the stream.

Looking at the stream from the cabin.

Looking down the stream. Very scenic.

Dad and a buddy relaxing before we got the day started.

A few of the dogs enjoying a meal and glad to be out of the truck and trailer.

My 11 year old setter (Missy) still getting it done. Her style has dropped some over the years, but her nose and brain still works grouse like they did when she was five. Maybe a little better.

My future son-in-laws year old setter backed by my nine year old pointer. The young setter really came into his own on this trip. He went out as a novice and turned into a solid pointing bird finding machine. Couldn't be happier about his progress.

The future son-in-law with the first grouse he has ever taken and over his dog. It doesn't get any better than that. Not sure but is it appropriate to shoot a grouse in a Pheasant Forever shirt. I will leave that up to others to discuss.

My two year old pointer male "Louie" who kicked butt last year on grouse with a nice find. He has developed into a solid grouse dog and has that special something that allows him to get them pointed and held. I think it is because he is absolutely solid on first scent and extremely solid to the shot.

Louie on a few other points. Good luck seeing him in the first picture.

The year old "wild child" on two solid finds. The first picture produced a beautiful grouse that managed to elude me by flying straight away to the right behind some pines and low ground cover.
With the birds holding well and not running bad, she was absolutely solid to the release. She is truly the real deal.

A zoomed in picture of the point. She style like this on every point.

Louie and I with one of the birds that made a mistake and gave me a good opportunity.

It was a great trip and one that I look forward to doing again. It is always special when the dogs do well and you can share time with guys that appreciate the dogs and the outdoors as much as you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:40 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: Back from Grouse Hunt (Pic Heavy)

Cool! Thanks for taking us with!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

NICE!!!

In an age of universal lies, speaking the truth is a revolutionary act - George Orwell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 03:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I've been looking foward to this TR. Great Stuff Vince.

thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 04:51 PM
dap

It is nice to see MIssy still in the mix.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

I take all the old timers with me on these trips because I don't want to regret missing a season I may not get back. She has slowed down some but still in incredible 3 or 4 hours a day shape and who knows when it might be her last. The other dogs that make these trips are my young 1 and 2 year olds who need the experience. The dogs who are 4,5 or 6 years of age stay home and work for the business because they have made two or three of these trips and don't need the experience. It has worked well in developing young dogs and Missy will make every trip until she can no longer do so. She has earned it.

I expect to get up in your area this winter to do a little grouse hunting around Marienville. If we can work it out, I would enjoy hunting a day or so with you.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 05:13 PM

Great pictures. I still remember seeing your wild child as a pup last year. She sure has grown.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 AM

Looked like a great time!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 11:57 AM
Sage

Thank you for sharing a great trip!!

wmu 3A
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Nice!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page