Large number of Out of State Upland Hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Large number of Out of State Upland Hunters

Gentlemen,
This past couple weeks here in Potter/Tioga we have been in-indated with upland hunters, this trend started a few years back, and has grown every year for the past 5 or 6 years. I do not know if its because our Grouse numbers are up or if the younger generations is now using their Grandparents camps, however we have many people from
OH, MD, NY, VT, ME, VA, WVa, NC, NJ and Tenn coming here to mostly Grouse and Woodcock hunt. Some stay to Turkey hunt also. Saturday evening I went to one of the my lesser known SFL Grouse coverts, to find 2 sets of out of state Grouse hunters, and 3 Turkey hunters already parked just outside the Yellow gates. Now we have some vast mountains here, and our Grouse population has been growing. I hope the out of state hunters appreciate what Pa has to offer, however the trash being left behind is tough on us home mountain people, we are definitely not use to seeing it. I pick up drink bottles on almost every outing now. Please respect our mountains and
make sure you leave only foot prints and take only pictures and your legal game limits. Most of the men and ladies I am meeting are great people with fine dogs and good shotguns. Out of state hunters, also remember from the end of Sept to the end of Jan no ATV's are allowed in the SGL or SFL, by Pa Game law. Have a great time in Pa hunting its a vast and beautiful wilderness, please respect it.
Pine Creek/Dave

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Large number of Out of State Upland Hunters

No doubt the Internet.....not all that read post and many who read sift threads for bargains and hotspots.
Has happened with print media as well.
Hard for many not to brag tho.

GBE was correct....decades ago.

Rory has a good owner now....lucky lad.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

That's the reason I only hunt bad covers that hold no birds. Much less competition!!

"A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest" Paul Simon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Frequent Contributor

Great post Pine Creek. I'll bet many of the out of Staters are like me. I was born and raised in PA. I'm a member of a camp and hunted Potter Co. all my life. Then I had to move to Ohio for a job 15 years ago. Potter Co. is in my heart and I wish I could come up more, but the 8 hour drive holds me back.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

222shooter,
Next time you are in Potter give me a yell I will try to help you out. I was born here and finally got to return.
I fully understand about having your heart in Potter/Tioga County,
mine is here also.
Pine Creek/Dave

Colton Point Look Out, Pa Grand Canyon home sweet home.

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Me too-born in Berks got my undergrad in Tioga county Pine-helped stock trout down that railroad grade in your photo. We get up grouse hunting once a year with college buddies-homecoming.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not suprised, I always read posts on here about how great Potter and Tioga grouse numbers are...
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 11:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Too funny ruffedG
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:08 AM

Some are discovering that boasting about how good the hunting is in their area and posting pictures of hero shots results in hordes of internet scouters showing up in their covers. To those who do this I say enjoy the crowds.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Gentlemen,
We have thousands and thousands of acres to hunt here in NC Pa, lots on private and public land. Grouse hunters have little or no effect on the over all Grouse population, sounds like a lot of sour grapes. Hero shots, you got to be kidding me.
The thread was about all the different out of state hunters, and asking them to respect our mountains,
few ever find our covert locations, and fewer yet are good enough with a shotgun to matter. Please bring your youngsters and teach them how to Grouse hunt in our vast mountain forests, we love to have hordes of them to add to our upland shooting life. Never saw a crowd in our Grouse woods yet, and I have hunted here over 50 years now.
Pine Creek/Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page