Benelli UltraLite - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Benelli UltraLite

I was looking at the Benelli ultralite 12 gauge in 24" or 26" barrel length. What is the science regarding a shorter barrel...louder, spreads the shot faster, fast shots...Is this proven?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Benelli UltraLite

I don't think 24" is short enough to be louder. Alot of wingshooters prefer longer barrels however because they swing better.

Some claim that short barrels are easier to swing in the brush. I personally think that 4 inches will seldom make a difference in tight cover.

Its really personal preference. The choke remains the same and I don't think barrel length makes a difference in that category.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 01:56 PM

when I`m shooting trap at the local club and someone is using a short barreled gun, it is definitely is louder.

you shouldn't notice the noise level in hunting situations.

as stated in the previous reply, the choke selection is more important than length of the barrel.

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think we worry too much about nothing. For your average small game hunter a shotgun with a mod. choke and suitable shot size will work fine. Too many get caught up in the gun writers' print, just buy what fits and feels good.

Life member NRA
Life member DAV
Life member VFW
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:15 PM
The Man

this question should be in the firearms forums

I gotta go agitate the techies!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 03:38 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a 24" M2 and have had no issues with it. I have shot countless gross and have shot turkeys out of the air the last three fall seasons. My dad has a 21" M1 and it is just as deadly. If you will be doing any waterfowl hunting, get the longer but if it is in tight cover, the shorter works fine.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have owened a Ultra light 12 and 20 with 24' bbls. I sold both of them and still

use my favarite,, Super 90 with 18 1/2" bbls. Doc in Pa.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 05:37 PM
The Man

I have an ultra light with a 26 inch barrel. I use it for sporting clays sometimes, so I opted for the longer barrel. But, I hunt grouse, woodcock, and pheasant in some pretty brushy places, and the extra 2 inches of barrel means little. As far as the shorter barrel spreading the shot faster, with todays screw in chokes, it's basically a wash. The Ultra Light comes with three chokes, cylinder, improved cylinder, and modified, all of which are useful for bird hunting at some time or another. Mainly I use the IC choke for most of my bird hunting, but sometimes in the dove field I use mod or improved modified. I think about the only time noise would be an issue would be if you're in a waterfowl pit blind, or laying in a field blind close to another hunter, then the 24 inch barrel might a bit louder, but not much.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Frequent Contributor

I think it's more of an issue of balance and what fits the hunter for a specific situation. Longer barrels usually add a little extra barrel end weight and longer line of sight that provides for a better follow through on swinging targets like pass shooting ducks while shorter barrels that have a good balance centered between the two hands make for better quick jump shots. The dimensions and particulars of each person would also apply.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

I own two of them 12 ga and 20 ga. The 24 inch barrel is the way to go with the 12 ga. It is the best gun I have ever owned and definitely not the most expensive. It is a pure joy to hunt with.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page