Missouri ruffed grouse stocking - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Missouri ruffed grouse stocking

I read somewhere Missouri was going to get ruffed grouse from PA to restock some of its public lands.

I did not know you could trap and transplant ruffed grouse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Re: Missouri ruffed grouse stocking

If grouse can be transplanted...in would be rather nice if they relocated a few to Washington, County PA.

In the 70-80's when there were a lot of grouse in this area. There were grove and groves of crab apple's and we all cursed them as we rubbed against their thorny limbs/branches to get in good cover.

Now there is next to no crab apple trees in any of the areas I hunt. Many specimen of trees grew tall and shaded the crab apples and they died off apparently taking the grouse with them.

Now open areas are loaded with thick infestations of heavy briars so thick the deer go around them, No fun to hunt and not productive.

We did plant 500 hundred crab apple saplings on our club a few years back and the deer loved them.

Well guess I will have to travel to the "Show Me State" to hunt beloved grouse????

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM

Any chance they would give Pa some quail in the future? Just thought maybe it could be part of the quail management plan. But I have not heard of it before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM
Banned

Good habitat has to be located or created and regulations passed regarding closing of quail where ever they would be stocked. We have to be careful because the thought is when PA did introduce quail from southern states a long time ago, it destroyed the gene pool of the original quail in PA when the offspring did not have what it took to survive winter in PA.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page