Google Earth Grouse - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Google Earth Grouse

I've read a lot about using Google Earth for grouse hunting. I am familiar with the program, but really have no idea how to use it to find grouse coverts. What do you look for? What does good grouse habitat look for on Google Earth? Does anyone have any suggestions, tips, or guidance?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:15 PM
The Man

Re: Google Earth Grouse

clearcuts
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 11:19 PM

I looked for bare spots with the clock turned back 10 years. I was looking for Snowshoes but same cover. Worked pretty good
Hornberg likes this.

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 12:38 AM
Frequent Contributor

Look up an area you know is good............then find similar looking stuff on Google earth......then add boot leather.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I've been using the bootleather technique for years now, and have found a lot of birds this year. Just looking for something else to help locate more cover. Are the "bare spots" the best way to identify clearcuts?
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 01:05 AM
Frequent Contributor

Use mapquest too they have different satellite images that you can't see on google . Check for any vegetation changes or tree elevation changes make sure there are dense cover and always always look for evergreens and you'll find grouse
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 03:03 PM

GG,
I am way to old school when it comes to developing my Grouse Coverts, to me using a computer or a GPS is as unethical as it gets, for finding Grouse coverts. Call the forester, get some advise on clear cut locations & their ages, then investigate the clear cuts, developing your own
Grouse coverts. Grouse hunting is a sport with lots of traditions, computers and GPS's are not part of the upland shooting life & traditions. Might want to learn how to use a good compass also.
Pine Creek

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 05:52 PM
New Arrival

I used to agree with Pine-Creek as I started hunting - I was reading grouse authors who were hunting in the 50's and 60's and really liked the tradition of grouse hunting. Then I realized that these guys weren't using any technology because it wasn't available to them. But isn't a compass a form of technology? Is a dog bred to sniff out grouse considered "technology." I personally don't care to hunt grouse with a dog, but I'll always use my gps, especially when I'm hunting alone in an unfamiliar area. (I always carry a compass as well for backup). The forester or ranger is not always available...so why not take advantage of the technology to do your own research on potential areas? What's the difference between buying a map or downloading it from the computer? You still can't get to the birds until you put boots to the brush, so I don't agree that technology in this case is unethical.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine-Creek
GG,
I am way to old school when it comes to developing my Grouse Coverts, to me using a computer or a GPS is as unethical as it gets, for finding Grouse coverts. Call the forester, get some advise on clear cut locations & their ages, then investigate the clear cuts, developing your own
Grouse coverts. Grouse hunting is a sport with lots of traditions, computers and GPS's are not part of the upland shooting life & traditions. Might want to learn how to use a good compass also.
Pine Creek
Using a computer to find appropriate areas to look for grouse is unethical? Really... but asking a forester that uses computers and GPS to plan, carry out, and catalogue clear cuts is OK??
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:23 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Google earth is the best way to hunt...the only problem I have run into is that sometimes the property I intend to hunt is posted/private property. If you get good at using GE, you can go back in history and see how old cuts are. GE will not show you the food associated with grouse. Get a car GPS that takes coordinates and you are business....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page