Dead deer and gut piles - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
dap

Dead deer and gut piles

I've found 3 dead deer since deer season ended. Only found 2 gut piles (though I know they disappear much faster).

What is anyone else finding?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Dead deer and gut piles

We found a couple of nice 4- point bucks, with no brow tines. The dirtbags just left them there. These were nice bucks, just not legal.

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
dap

The three I found were all antlerless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:09 PM

I found several during and right after rifle season. Nobody messed with them, they were just legal deer the shooter never bothered searching for or had no idea how to find a downed deer. what a waste

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Found a buck last week that the horns were broken off of. Crossbow bolt and rage crossbow head found in it. Found two dead doe also.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:33 PM

I found 2 dead doe yesterday within a half mile square. They were in an area where slobs would've been able to take some pretty long shots across open fields...made me wanna puke.

DeadRiver AKC Beagles
home 2G
camp 4D
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:39 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've been out 4 days grouse hunting since deer season closed and have not seen a single dead deer or gut pile in the woods. I did, however, pull 3 dead deer carcasses already skinned that were dumped and tossed into a high-quality Class A wild trout stream last Wednesday while I was hunting. Unbelievable!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 01:03 AM

I found 2 doe and a big 5 pt buck during the rifle season The really strange thing was the buck didn't have a mark on it anywhere.

Every bird I bag is a beautiful poignant thing. - Charles Fergus
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 04:29 PM
Regular Visitor

I found 2 Headless Bucks in the Alleghany National Forest during Bear season. They were cut open in a way that seemed like they were left for bait. I also have found 3 dead doe on different state game lands/public property in Erie County. All 3 were shot and left, couldn't tell you for sure if the hunters were too lazy to find them, or if they simply shot and left them there. All 3 were within 500 yards of a Parking Lot. The people who cimmitted these crimes should never be permitted to hunt again. I would understand if I found a dead deer that was a couple miles back in the thickest brush PA has to offer. The lack of snow makes tracking difficult for inexperienced/lazy hunters, but all 3 of these doe were easily seen from established paths/trails and within 500 yards of the parking lot. Even the laziest of hunters who refuse to leave the trail for any reason could have found these deer.

When I was hunting with my Dad as a kid,ocassionally we would help handicapped hunters recover their deer. Some of these were disabled veterans who were unable to drag the deer out of the woods. These disabled men were able to find the deer they shot, or at least point me in the general area where the deer ran down over the hill. If you are physically unable to Track/Recover the animal you shot, there are people who are willing to help. This was a great experience for a young hunter (I was 12 to 16 yars old). I learned how to track animals with and without snow. I don't claim to be a professional tracker, but if a deer is hit well, there is no excuse for leaving the animal to rot.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2011, 02:49 AM
New Arrival

I found a headless buck about 60 yards from the parking lot out on SGL 327. Back end was tore up pretty bad so it could of been hit by a car then dumped there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page