Hunt at Onpoint Outfitters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Hunt at Onpoint Outfitters

Today (Thursday) was day one of my hunt at Onpoint Outfitters. It was a great day and the dogs any myself had a great time. We hunted one of the farms starting around 10:30. I just hunted scratch birds for the day and didn't have any birds put out for me. Within the first 20 minutes the dogs pointed a rooster I was able to knock down. When I shot at the pheasant, a covey of quail flushed from the same area. The dogs had a couple of points on some singles but I was not able to take any of them. A little later I was able to connect on another pheasant the dogs pointed. After that I worked toward some food plot areas. The dogs pointed and tracked a running bird that I didn't take a shot at (the safety works on my gun!) After that the dogs pointed again on the top edge of a corn field. We worked the whole way around the corn and the dogs ended up pointing it right where we started. The bird flushed and I wasn't able to connect with my shot. A short time later the dogs pointed a rooster in some edge cover that I was able to take. We then walked up behind the corn field where I missed a nice rooster the dogs pointed. The bird flew hard and fast when flushed but I still should have taken it. The next point in this area produced some quail and I was able to take two males. Nittany and Blitz were able to find and point another pair of quail and I took one. That was enough quail from that particular area to take so I went back to the truck for a short break. After the break the dogs and I headed to an area of the farm we didn't cover yet. The dogs were able to point two hens and two roosters in this area and I took one bird. I let a few of the others fly off. I didn't want to shoot up all these birds that are surviving on their own. The day finished with a point on a single quail that I took on the edge of the woods. It was a great day and the dogs worked hard. They had around 20 points on the day and we found a good number of quail and pheasant. It was a pleasure to meet and talk to Vince at Onpoint about dogs and birds. The hunting and cover was great. I will hunt again tomorrow and then go home. Here are a couple of pics I was able to take:

These pics are from a point that produced two quail.

I'll try to add some more pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Re: Hunt at Onpoint Outfitters

Here are a couple more pictures:

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looks like you and your dogs are having a great hunt. Did you run into any of Vince's WILD quail?

It's breeding,training...and something unknown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

I think the first covey may have been some of the wild ones. It is hard to tell.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Looking at those pictures I may just have to point the Chevy in that direction! Good luck tomorrow.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I hunted a different farm on day 2 before heading home. I started out hunting the area to see if I could find anything. The dogs found 6 pheasants with 5 coming off of solid points and I took 4 of them. I figured that was enough and decided to get ready to go back home. It was a good 2 days of hunting with around 25 solid points on birds. I think I may have to make this a yearly trip. Here are some more pictures:

A big thanks goes out to Vince for an enjoyable hunt.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

With action like that, who needs the MidWest!!!

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 10:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well, I'm jealous!! Great pics and thanks for sharing.

If you do make it a yearly trip, let me know, if'n you don't mind some company with a setter tagging along.

Lost
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 PM

bwire,
Looks like Vince is still taking good care of the on Point Property, and that he provided you with two nice days of bird shooting over your dogs. When you see him again tell him Kurt, Dave & Barb Buehner said hello.
Pine Creek

Never care about what other people believe, be strong and walk in the way of the Lord.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Lost, are you going back out there with your pup anytime?

I'll have to remember you next year if I'm able to make it out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page