Sad story.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

Sad story....

I haven't spent a whole lot of time chasing grouse, especially since I moved to the Lehigh valley 7 years ago. In the time since I moved here I got a Chocolate lab. She's flushed and retrieved pheasants, retrieved ducks, geese, and doves. But on the few occasions we've traveled north we have flushed very few and had virtually no chances to actually harvest grouse. They always seem to flush way out ahead of me and the dog, or in cover where I just can't get a shot.

My Lab is now 7 years old and I know it won't be long before she can't spend a day running in the field. So I really wanted to put a grouse or two in front on her. We headed to deer camp in the ANF last Friday. I figured this would be my best chance at some good grouse hunting. I've flushed them when deer hunting many times.

Well after about an hour we put one in the air! I missed with my first shot, and knocked it down with my second. It landed in some downed trees. My lab is right on it, sniffing like mad around all the feathers. Finally she's got it, I can always tell when she pinpoints a bird because she freezes, kind of like she's on point but with her tail wagging like mad. I tell her to "fetch the bird", she lunges for it and it takes off running. It only goes about 10 feet before it finds a nice boulder that it can get under. GONE!!! I spent about an hour laying on the ground with a flashlight, digging out where I could, probing with sticks, trying desperately to get the first grouse for me and my lab.

The look my lab gave me when I realized it wasn't going to happen darn near broke my heart in two. She knew it was under there, kept sticking her nose under and sniffing, whining, scratching at the dirt around the rock.

We managed to flush one more, but it didn't present a shot, I fired a salute at it just for good measure. On the way back we passed the same boulder, my lab recognized it and went right back to sniffing and whining.

I didn't see a single deer while grouse hunting on saturday, or while deer hunting on Monday, but that doesn't bother me one bit. That bird was what I really wanted to get this weekend!

Now I'm longing for Dec. 12th and the hope that I might get another chance this year. Here's hoping we can put one up somewhere closer, going to try some SGL's in the poconos, or up near Ricketts Glen area.

Wish us luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:54 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Sad story....

Keep the faith, I moved to the valley in 99 and you do have to travel a bit to get to better populations of birds but they are around. Pocono population seems down in my covers this year. I would suggest your time would be better spent in Clinton, Potter or Tioga counties.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I truly hope you get that first bird for both of you. I have an idea the look your lab probably gave you. I have a yellow and a black lab and they give some of the most adorable, sad, cute, happy looks all the time! Best of luck and I know it will happen!!

aka: Jay Russ
4C
Good luck to all this season and be safe!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:01 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would agree with brushbuster. I went to college at Lock Haven and some of the best grouse hunting I ever experienced was in Center Co. My career career best without my dogs was 2 grouse on 3 shots. Probably never do that again. HahAha.

aka: Jay Russ
4C
Good luck to all this season and be safe!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2011, 01:30 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Small world, I did my undergraduate work at Lock Haven and hunted the surrounding areas from 89-92. It was peak time and we had plenty of birds.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Centre county is definitely the place to hunt. Back in the early 2000's, my dad and his friend did a 2 day 2 man hunt with no dog and killed eight birds. Also about 3 years ago, we did 6 guys and no dog and got 61 flushes in 2 days.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:27 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushbuster
Small world, I did my undergraduate work at Lock Haven and hunted the surrounding areas from 89-92. It was peak time and we had plenty of birds.
I attended LHU 1986-88, sure did shoot plenty of grouse and squirrels in the hollow behind the football stadium!

Got my invitation to Darrell's wedding in the mail today! No location on the invitation???
5D/3D
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 12:31 PM
The Man

Nice post...pm sent.

Got my invitation to Darrell's wedding in the mail today! No location on the invitation???
5D/3D
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

PM to who?

I have my next attempt planned. I will be heading to the Ricketts Glen area the weekend of Dec. 16th. Hopefully it isn't too cold for camping out. There's plenty of woods up there, I will just have to find some good grouse cover.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 03:20 AM
Frequent Contributor

PM sent to you

SGT CARL J. MORGAIN KIA IRAQ 22 MAY 05
A CO 1/112 INF TF 2-7 US ARMY

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page