beagle ???? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

beagle ????

my wife is getting me a beagle for christmas. she found a year and a half pure bred. it's never hunted before but the owners say it has a loud howl. does anyone know of a good website or a good book to buy on training a beagle????? are my hopes set too high hoping i can train a year and a half old beagle most people i've talked too tell me you have to start them really young??
any pointers would be great. I've been weanting one for so long just hope i can find some sucess with it. thanks in advance for any advice- i love this site one sportsman helping another--the way it should be.
thanks
jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 01:28 AM
Sage

Re: beagle ????

Beagle Basics, The training of the hunting beagle by Bill Bennett

The Ultimate Beagle the Natural born rabbit dog by Robert Mason

Training your Beagle by Kristine Kraeuter

The last one is overall training and care The first two more hunting related

year and a half is not too old b ut you'll have to spend more time getting basic obedience down before you cut the dog loose on rabbit

If you know anyone in your area with beagles maybe you could run together once your dog gets used to you

Good luck and hope you enjoy your dog

wmu 3A
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Part of the Community

Strong second on the "basic obedience". I have owned at leat 6 or 8 hunting beagles each dog was its own personality but the primary thread was that beagles have a mind of their own. Once they are on the scent or even just off the leash they want to go, go , go, go. The absolute worst case for a beagle is to follow instincts and chase white tail deer. I lost several good dogs.... dogs with great noses ... to the fault of chasing deer. Urge you to get a good electric training collar and use it a lot in the early sessions. Make sure the dog understands that when you call him in... he must come in because the posible consequences are tragic. On the other hand, a good beagle will be the best hunting pal you will ever have.

NRA Member
Former USMC - Vietnam
Retired Army - Desert Storm
Renewing hunting knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 05:54 PM

I would say to make sure the dog will listen to your basic commands first and foremost.

Then I would box trap a wild rabbit or get your hands on a domestic one, put it in a cage and let the dog sniff at it. If the dog has some hunt in him then it should start to scratch at the cage and bark and just basically go crazy trying to get the rabbit.
Take it to a field where there is a treeline close by, then let the dog go crazy at the cage again and then let the rabbit loose. Hopefully the dog will get a sight chase in, until the rabbit hits the cover and the dog will lose it, but then he should start using his nose to find it.

If he shows interest then I would either take him out and find him rabbits by himself or run him with another experienced hound.

Good luck

‎"When the mind fails to comprehend, the body must be punished" -3rd Battalion,Parris Island
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

bigjon were are you in mercer co.

LP GR RCH Coal Hill's Brush Buster.2014 ARHA PA state champion LP GR CH Coal Hill's Ma Ma Cass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page