Why do people do this? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:55 AM Thread Starter

Why do people do this?

The few places I hunt locally are all public land (state parks) which have many trails throughout that are in use by others as well as hunters sometimes pretty heavily. Why do some hunters insist on hunting on the dang trails?

Where I was today was a very good spot for squirrel. The main way in/out is along a horse trail which crosses a creek a few times. You take the trail to where you want then make your way into the woods. I try to go out of my way not to interfere with someone Else's hunt. If I see you I wave and go another direction. Pretty simple. Today I tried to take the trail to the spot I wanted to hunt. I come around a bend and see a guy on the trail sitting for squirrel. I wave and turn around thinking (that's a stupid place to hunt) and make my way to the other location I like to hunt. Not even 1/4 mile away I run into another guy doing the same thing. He stands up and gets all huffy because I'm walking the trail... I wave/nod and am forced to turn around again. Why do people insist on hunting the trails?

I see this a lot during the archery/small game overlap. I hunt SGL43 a lot and I see archery guys a hundred or so yards in from the parking lot right on the main trail in/out. I was yelled at once last year for messing up a guys hunt. He was no more than 100 yards in from the parking lot along a main trail on the opening weekend of small game.

Se Pa is crowded and I know hunting spots are hard to come by and public land is crowded blah blah blah but why do people hunt next to a heavily used trail? Are these the same people who complain they never see any deer?

Sometimes I genuinely feel bad as I really don't want to mess up anyone's hunt but you'd think they would have enough sense not to sit along the only trail in/out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 AM

Re: Why do people do this?

Many people are LAZY!

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ever think mabey for some reason they are there? they might have limited mobility issues. hey if i was sitting there i would expect someone to go by, i guess it would be part of hunting and wish you good luck as you travel past. hoping your sportsmanship would keep you quiet as possible

if you bought it, a trucker brought it
2F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Part of the Community

It happens too all of us that hunt public land. Thus the word public. If I'm archery hunting that small game hunter is pushing deer for me weather they likes it or not.

I just give a wave and a thank you.

But some people have no couth.

May the rut be with you.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:23 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pipelines on state forest land are the same dang way. Some of those spots I know from experience are dang good though. Like it or not some people have limited time limited mobility limited inteligence or limited intestinal fortitude of the night hours. That being said, trails, pipelines, roads, outhouses.... it doesnt really matter in Pa.... The biggest sea of orange every day in the greater Pa traveling huntin circus is loocated along an easy access route.
I think that every hunter in Pennsylvania and maybe everywhere has at some point in their lives hunted along an extremely easy path to and from a spot. To get angry at the people who do is pointless. That people get angry at those who are traveling into and out of the woods along said routes is goofy. Hunt a road trail or whatever, people will find you. Thats the game and it aint 'a changin!!

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 AM

I can't help but imagine what that scenario would be like on a "future" Sunday hunt with hikers, bikers, birders (whatever) out there to "ruin" a hunt.

Democrats. Making decisions based on emotion since childhood.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 AM
New Arrival

Dont forget the safety issue either. A few yrs ago I was walking in on a trail and another hunter took a shot on the last of 5 running doe that crossed the path perpindicular between us. I was right at a bend and didnt see him or the deer but heard the shot and felt the familiar snap as it zipped by me. This was during early Muzzleloader season. Never enjoyed being shot at and there is no deer worth an accident, be careful.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Sorry if I was unclear in my original post. I'm not trying to put down anyone with mobility issues or anything like that. The two instances I spoke about in my original post were not hunters with mobility problems or anything like that. It was just two guys who decided they were going to hunt right on the main trail in. I guess I wasn't so clear on why I was ranting. It was more for the fact that they get all testy with you when you walk by like you shouldn't be there while they are there. That is the part I don't understand.... sorry if it came off different.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:55 AM

That's the norm, I usually try to make light of it. Passed an older gent the other day while hunting I was hunting woodcock. Complemented him on his nice looking muzzleloader, jokingly asked if he'd seen any woodcock, he did the same about deer. I told him no but let him know it was a good spot as I saw a lot of deer sign the direction he was facing. I think a lot of guys fail to realize is that, they'd probably enjoy sharing a campfire and swapping stories. I think greed has a lot to do with guys attitudes in the woods and it's unfortunate.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Part of the Community

cuz sometimes, just maybe, right by the trail is the best spot. I never went more than 25 yards away from the logging road behind my house on sgl. There was many spots on that trail where you would almost always catch deer crossing. got lots of small game while taking the gun for a walk down that trail. My neighbors did the same thing. plenty of stands no more than 50 yards off the beaten path. why do ppl get this idiotic idea that they need to walk miles into the forest to find game? Animals want to live where there is food and cover. Many times those things are by a trail. I didnt care about other hunter crossing my path. Most would stop and converse with me. It never affected my hunting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page