hunting with pistol question - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

hunting with pistol question

with PA being an open carry state, what exactly does the sportsmans permit gain me other then being able to conceal the pistol under heavy clothing? reason i bring this up is i just acquired a really nice colt buntline 22 revolver and after plinking with it this weekend, i can't wait to ake it out for some squirrels. we were hitting cats i mean cans (LOL) at 30+ yards with regularity free hand, and I popped a few out to 50 with a rest (leaning against a tree)

This pistol is a joy to shoot, and I've always wanted to do the pistol hunting thing. Being that this is a 10" barrel buntline revolver with a low ride open toed holster, it's pretty hard to even attempt to conceal it. even with a 3/4 length jacket on the whole pistol is visible when holstered.

is the permit NECESSARY, or just a convenience to allow concealment in the field? I know ALL pistols (without the LTCF) mandates that the weapon be unloaded and stored away from ammunition when in the car, away from your body as well. I'll be keeping it in the trunk when not in field. I just sent in ppwk for my LTCF but don't aticipate this coming back anytime soon given the way allegheny county works...

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:59 AM

Re: hunting with pistol question

I don't believe the Sportsmans permit allows you to carry concealed when hunting. In order to hunt with a pistol you are required to have the Sportsmans permit or an LTCF. You might as well get a LTCF. It is just as easy to get. I am not an expert, but this is my understanding.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

ah...got it...the SP covers you transporting the weapon under the uniform firearms act. open carry over 18 years of age is okay...just don't get into the car with the weapon. I'm off to see the treasurer 6 bucks and it's good for 5 years? Why NOT have one? i'm still gonna get the LCTF, but the SP is instant, and will get me plinking squirrels this weekend coming

Feral Cats are God's version of Ballistic Gelatin. - anonymous from another forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:01 AM

The LCTF in Washington County was instant too. It took me about 30 minutes total to get mine from the Sheriff's office. It was $20 for 5 years. I used to have a sportsmans permit, but when it just came up for renewal I decided to get the LCTF.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:32 AM

you do not need a sportsmans permit to hunt with a handgun in pennsylvania. the sportsmans permit allows you to "carry" (which is defined specifically as meaning either having the weapon concealed or in a vehicle) while either hunting or fishing in conjuction with your fishing or hunting license. basically, a sportsmans permit is a license to carry concealed or in a vehicle that is only valid while hunting or fishing or going to hunt or fish. real simple, people get confused with it comes to the word 'carry' however. hope that clears it up some

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

ch..ch..ch..*click*..BOOM
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Watch your rules fellas... sportsmens permit allows you to carry a REVOLVER exposed during SOME seasons (archery season for example is a no-no, prob others as well)also during fishing I believe too. You may not transport said weapon loaded in a vehicle. A Conceal carry permit allows you to carry a revolver or semi while hunting regardless of season for protection, but you are not allowed to unload a semi into an animal unless you are protection yourself (Ie 10mm glock vs bear, just an example) but you better be able to prove it was in defense. I carry both permits when I hunt.

Directly from your 2011-2012 handbook....some of you guys need to read your rules. Ignorance does not give you a free pass...

<span style="color: #FF0000">"Firearms - Handguns: A Sportsmanís Firearms permit or a License
to Carry Firearms is required to carry a handgun, or have in a motor
vehicle. Licenses to Carry Firearms permits are issued by county sheriffs
or the Philadelphia Chief of Police. The License to Carry Firearms
permit only entitles bowhunters or spotlighters, for instance, to
carry firearms that fall within this classification. County treasurers
issue Sportsmanís Firearms Permits. A person holding a Sportsmanís
Firearms Permit may not carry a concealed handgun or a loaded
handgun in a vehicle, and may not carry a handgun while
bowhunting or spotlighting."
</span>
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 04:37 PM

yes, I neglected to mention that it must be a legal weapon to hunt with when carrying it while hunting. I dont think it matters for fishing. I find that bolded text rather confusing however because, as well as I can remember, the letter of the law states that a sportsmans permit allows an exception to carrying in a vehicle being a felony. Then again, nobody ever accused the pa firearms code of being unambiguous.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:05 PM
Nes

POP has it correct and another point that he staed but maybe should have made bold is that it needs to be exposed on the sportmans permit while hunting.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 08:28 PM
Sage

Wrong, if you are hunting with a legal handgun and are in the field hunting, you may have the handgun under your coat and not in the open under a sportsmans permit and be legal.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 PM

an exposed handgun is just open carry. no permit required. can't do it in the car and in some places, mind you. but its perfectly legal with or without a permit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page