PA Black squirrels - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

PA Black squirrels

hello I am from central pa.My daughter wants to try to shoot a black aquirrel this year,So I have been trying to find a game lands that has more black squirrels than grey. form what I understand they are mostly up north.I would just like to get a gamelands destination that she would have a good chance at one.It would just suck driving for hours with the price of gas and only running into greys.Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Regular Visitor

Re: PA Black squirrels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Grey_Squirrel

Black squirrels are the melanistic form of gray squirrels, meaning blacks are grays. so if it were me i would go where there are lots of grays and hope for the best.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I understand that black and grey squirrels are the same.I have done alot of research on where to find them.I have heard that there are areas where you see mostly blacks. I Just cant find somewhere like that. Blacks are very rare everywhere I hunt around me. I was just hopeing to get some help on a general area to find some just a little more specific that North West PA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:15 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhnter
Black squirrels are the melanistic form of gray squirrels, meaning blacks are grays. so if it were me i would go where there are lots of grays and hope for the best.
Most black squirrels are the melanistic form of grey squirrels, but I have also seen a melanistic (black) fox squirrel. However just going where there are lots of greys and hoping for the best isn't the right choice. Since melanism is an inherited trait, there are some areas without any black squirrels (or so low that you're just as likely to see an albino), and other areas where a significant portion of the popluation is black. Twenty years or more ago, I would have suggested hunting Forest County - around SGL 24 and places in the Allegheny National Forest for blacks. Probably 25% of the squirrels we saw would be black, and possibly higher in areas with large hemlock stands. While the percentages of grey vs black may still be the same, the overall squirrel population in that area seems to have plummeted. The fisher population on the other hand has exploded. Circumstantial evidence would suggest a correlation, though I've not seen any studies to prove or disprove this hypothesis.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 02:25 PM

dap is right. If you just get out in the greys you will be lucky to see a black. The black color is a genetic trait. In order to have black squirrel it has to be in their gene pool. If you hunt where you do for greys you could run into a black but the chances are slim just like dap said. Go to where the black squirrels are. The black gene is more prevailant in the gene pool hence more black squirrels. Never got one either and hunted squirrel a lot. Just never went to an area where they were. They are the same squirrel as a grey just a mutation. I did see a squirrel once that was like the color of a palamino horse.

You canít get them if you ainít in the woods!!
<span style="font-weight: bold">GOD BLESS</span>
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:45 PM

Got one years ago in North Central PA and got a mount done. I've seen 4 other ones over the years and they were all up North. Even if you are hunting in an area that has a good gene pool like the area I hunt, it is still a long shot to even see one. (when I say the area I hunt, I have seen them scattered in five different locations over four counties, Lycoming, Clinton, Potter and Tioga. Best advice I could give you is to get up to the state forests in the north central part of the state, find the acorns and start hunting. Check the WCO field reports on the game commision web site as well.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Part of the Community

a few years ago I used to bowhunt around cookforest in Clarion county, Somtimes I would see 3 blacks to 1 grey. 1 day I remember counting 5 differnt ones @ once
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Part of the Community

Visited a pal who lives near Dubois. While there we saw several "black" squirrels. So maybe you might see them in SGL 77.

NRA Member
Former USMC - Vietnam
Retired Army - Desert Storm
Renewing hunting knowledge
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Nes

Where do you live? There used to be some in an area I hunt in Elk County but it's been a couple years since I have been there. They reclaimed the strip job next to it so I will have to find a new way to check it out. One of the guys last year posted that Kinzue Dam area had a lot of them. I used to see a lot of greys while fishing there.

Think before you share your thoughts!!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 07:59 PM

My camp is a few miles below Kinzua Dam and the River Ridge has a good number of blacks squirrels. If you are interested I will point you in the right direction.

Kinzua Man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in