Were quail ever abundant - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Were quail ever abundant

Being only in my late 20s only once have I ever seen quail while hunting. And if they were true wild quail I canít be sure. If quail were once abundant why not effort into projects to try and get them going again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 04:52 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

never hunted quail, but I believe they were at one time. I believe they have the same problems that they are having with the pheasants and grouse. maybe someone who hunts them more than I do could have better information that you are looking for. good luck in your search.
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 05:22 PM

quail were still in good numbers in the late 60`s in the area I was in .
the PGC is looking at Quail again, not sure where that effort is at......

NRA life member
DU member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 05:27 PM

Here in Southeastern PA the habitat is gone. Quail were frequently heard here back in the 1960s along the boundaries between wood lots and field. No more fence rows, nothing left in the fields to feed game over the winter. Wood lots gone. As I recall, they really liked overgrown and fallow fields that were growing into brush. When I bought this farm in 1992, we sometimes heard bobwhite calling in the spring and summer. Haven't heard or seen any in 25 years here. I don't know if the reduced habitat led to increased predator pressure.
fall gobbler and ruger300 like this.
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 05:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The last wild quail I saw in SE PA (Lancaster co) farm country was 1980.

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 06:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I don't think quail were ever very abundant in the northern part of the state...the winters may be too harsh. I'm pretty certain the few I've ever seen were released birds.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 07:43 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The last PA WILD quail I saw was in late summer of 1960 in Berks County. The area was near Shillington, the back yard of a new housing development. The back yard bordered a farm. The hen and her 7 or 8 chicks were in my aunts back yard eating the weed seeds in her recently mowed lawn.

Having had the pleasure of hunting pheasants and wild quail in SW Iowa for many years, I feel that hunting wild quail over a pointing dog is one of the greatest joy of the outdoors.

The finest upland shot that I had the pleasure of witnessing was my hunting partner who was past 65 year old and he picked out and droped three individual quail on the rise. These shots were not over a dogs point.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 07:55 PM
The Man

We had huntable populations of quail here in Dauphin and Cumberland counties in the 60's through the 70's. They disappeared in the same time frame as pheasants.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 08:19 PM
The Man

Huntable numbers, yes; abundant no. Winters always kept their numbers in check.

Quote:
We had huntable populations of quail here in Dauphin and Cumberland counties in the 60's through the 70's. They disappeared in the same time frame as pheasants.
Quail disappeared long before pheasants. Pheasants and quail used the same habitat in Pa, and as pheasant numbers increased quail numbers declined. Combination of farmers growing more corn, and pheasants able to push quail out of their preferred habitat.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Unread 02-05-2020, 08:32 PM
The Man

I grew up on a farm in SE PA in the 1960s & early 1970s.

We had wild pheasants galore, and loads of doves, and rabbits were abundant.

But I only recall hearing bobwhite calling one time on our farm, and never heard or saw them anywhere else around there.

I heard bobwhite calling in Blair County in the 1990s. I don't know if they were wild or stocked.

There are quite a few quail at Cape Henlopen State Park in Delaware. We stayed at the campground there, and was very happily surprised to here quail calling there. The quail there live in a band of brush between the sandy beach and the uplands with pine trees, which is where the campground is located.

I read that there are quite a few quail in the same sort of habitat in New Jersey, in the brushy land back from the beach, where that land has not been developed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in