Sunday Hunting in 2020 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
dap

Sunday Hunting in 2020

The PGC agenda for the upcoming January commissioner's meeting shows:

Sunday hunting for deer is proposed for one Sunday (Nov. 15) during the statewide archery season.

Second, the statewide firearms
(black bear) season is proposed to include the newly authorized third Sunday (Nov. 22).

I was expecting Sunday hunting to be open for ALL species in season on the days for which Sunday hunting was authorized. I think the proposals read as if only Deer or Bear would be legal (along with any other species already open on Sunday).

What is your take on this?

Last edited by dap; 01-18-2020 at 02:46 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:35 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Bait and switch.

Sunday in archery probably will not destroy or over harvest the deer population, or have a lot of hunters out.

I'd go easy on the Black Bear.

They way they are cherry picking Sunday hunting makes me shake my head. Nothing has to do with game management but all politics. They want to get more hunters into the field for that one day for a licence sale. It's not the PGC it's the shiny pants clerks running the organization.
1Chewer! and Buckskin Dave like this.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laylow View Post
Bait and switch.

Sunday in archery probably will not destroy or over harvest the deer population, or have a lot of hunters out.

I'd go easy on the Black Bear.

They way they are cherry picking Sunday hunting makes me shake my head. Nothing has to do with game management but all politics. They want to get more hunters into the field for that one day for a licence sale. It's not the PGC it's the shiny pants clerks running the organization.
My reason for posting wasn't because I was concerned with an overharvest of deer bear, or even with selling more licenses. My concern is that the PGC lobbied the legislature for Sunday hunting to expand opportunities for Pennsylvania hunters. It would really stink if they only want expanded opportunities for big game hunters.
SlickShot, .257, Laylow and 1 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

So we can’t hunt small game those days?
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 03:18 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dap View Post
My reason for posting wasn't because I was concerned with an over harvest of deer bear, or even with selling more licenses. My concern is that the PGC lobbied the legislature for Sunday hunting to expand opportunities for Pennsylvania hunters. It would really stink if they only want expanded opportunities for big game hunters.
I agree. I would propose a Sunday where there is more opportunity for younger hunters to hunt small game.
blackpowder likes this.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:14 PM
Part of the Community

Gotta wonder if the wording in the new law stating a "Sunday during" is either being misunderstood or under legislative pressure to be interpreted as a "day for" thus leaving out all other species.

If opportunity to participate is as important as the BOC s claim, seems silly they would not jump on a one time Sunday this license year and add in a Sunday in spring turkey then go from there for next license year.

If Sunday hunting was not already illegal, who among us would not laugh at making it so?
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
dap

There is a similar thread in the General hunting forum Confusion will be the norm!

In that thread I posted the link to what the legislature passed with regard to Sunday hunting
Chapter 23, Title 34 shows:

§ 2303. Hunting on Sunday prohibited.
(a) General rule.--Except as otherwise provided in this title, it is unlawful for any person to hunt for any furbearer or game on Sunday.
(b) Construction of section.--This section shall not be construed to prohibit:
(1) The training of dogs.
(2) The participation in dog trials as provided for in this title.
(3) The removal of lawfully taken game or wildlife from traps or the resetting of the traps on Sunday.
(b.1) Exceptions.--Subsection (a) shall not apply to:
(1) The hunting of foxes.
(2) The hunting of coyotes.
(3) Any hunting which occurs on noncommercial regulated hunting grounds holding a valid permit under section 2928(b)(2)
(relating to regulated hunting grounds permits).
(4) Hunting on three Sundays each calendar year, as follows:
(i) One day of Sunday hunting shall be instituted by the commission during the deer rifle season.
(ii) One day of Sunday hunting shall be instituted by the commission during the Statewide deer archery season.
(iii) One day of Sunday hunting as determined by the commission shall be instituted by the commission.
In my opinion the way the 2020 regulations should read is Sunday hunting is prohibited except for Nov 15, 22 and 29. Anything in season on those dates would be legal to hunt. Archery deer season would be adjusted to run Oct 3 - Nov 15 (rather than end on the 14th).

What the PGC has proposed is a 1 day special Archery deer season on Nov 15, a one day special Firearms Bear season on Nov 22 and a one day special firearms deer season on Nov 29.

Even though it appears the legislation does not specify species that can be hunted, the PGC has taken it upon themselves to only open this opportunity to Deer and Bear hunters. Shame on them.
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
dap

If you are so inclined:

COMMENTS for the BOARD OF GAME COMMISSIONERS regarding seasons and bag limits may be submitted to [email protected].
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:40 PM
Sage

I see your point Dap but it allowing for ALL game running concurrent with deer/bear could impact resource concerns say for example it would drag in a high impact day for resource sensitive fall turkey by tacking it on with Sunday archery??

NRA Life Member
PFSC Life Member
CBF Member

Last edited by Loggy; 01-18-2020 at 04:44 PM.
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 04:44 PM

I think they're playing it safe. If they opened it up for all species someone would have them in Court in a heart beat I think.

While many of us were hoping for a board interpretation of the law, it seems that we won't be getting that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in