Ohio Proposes reduced Grouse Bag limits and Season - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Ohio Proposes reduced Grouse Bag limits and Season

Ruffed grouse hunting dates were proposed to be shortened from Oct. 10 to Nov. 29, 2020 on state-owned or controlled public hunting areas, and from Oct. 10, 2020, to Jan. 1, 2021, on private land. The ruffed grouse bag limit was proposed to be reduced to one bird. Quail and ruffed grouse regulations were proposed to better conserve the current population of birds that have been in decline for several years.

https://www.newswatchman.com/communi...9638b8a65.html

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Their typical season for grouse runs till the end of Jan for all lands and their bag limit was 2 similar to ours. Plus Sundays are legal their for the entire season.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:12 AM

Hunted Ohio for many years when the limit are 3 per day and the season extended into February. I have not seen or heard a grouse in my old hot spots in several years....Sad. Some days I brought home the 3 bird limit without hunting all day and most days I brought home a grouse or two...great memories...

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Hunted Ohio for many years when the limit are 3 per day and the season extended into February. I have not seen or heard a grouse in my old hot spots in several years....Sad. Some days I brought home the 3 bird limit without hunting all day and most days I brought home a grouse or two...great memories...
Were I hunt in SE Ohio there still is some birds there. Not great numbers but there is some birds.

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 10:07 AM

Gee maybe Pa is a leader in wildlife management after all. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 11:41 AM
The Man

Quote:
Or maybe habitat in Ohio is even worse than in Pa. Ohio has very little state controlled lands, its either private or NF lands. Private lands have matured and people are more interested in deer and turkey. NF lands don't know what a chainsaw is.

Quote:
If nothing is done about the habitat problem, you wont save anything. Its a simple concept wildlife managers don't seem to understand.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 12:15 PM

ALL of the real evidence that REAL wildlife management professionals use when making management decisions is very clear and convincing that the decline in grouse numbers is not JUST an issue of improving the habitat or doing more cutting.

Granted improving the habitat for any species is a step in the right direction toward increasing the reproductive and life cycle probabilities for the species. But, when there are other factors at play, as there are with grouse, it might not make any significant difference even if the amount of perfect habitat was doubled, tripled or even multiplied ten fold.

Some people need to come to grips with that reality instead of finding fault with everything that doesn't just extend or expand their hunting time.

As an example, in this area of some of the best grouse habitat in the state and where just a few short years ago we could flush dozens on grouse in a few hours of hunting there were eleven Game Commission employees and retirees that spent two full days, nearly daylight to dark, driving deer last week as we tried to harvest a few deer. There was fresh snow on the ground both days. During those two days between us all we only flushed one grouse and only saw a very few sets of grouse tracks. That is very disheartening for areas where I used to flush at least a couple grouse every time I was in it.

I think the wildlife professionals in Ohio are simply acting in a professional manner toward doing what the evidence suggests is the wisest direction for the species, much the same as the Pennsylvania professionals have and will continue to do.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 01:53 PM
dap

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. S. B. View Post
ALL of the real evidence that REAL wildlife management professionals use when making management decisions is very clear and convincing that the decline in grouse numbers is not JUST an issue of improving the habitat or doing more cutting.

Granted improving the habitat for any species is a step in the right direction toward increasing the reproductive and life cycle probabilities for the species. But, when there are other factors at play, as there are with grouse, it might not make any significant difference even if the amount of perfect habitat was doubled, tripled or even multiplied ten fold.

Some people need to come to grips with that reality instead of finding fault with everything that doesn't just extend or expand their hunting time.

As an example, in this area of some of the best grouse habitat in the state and where just a few short years ago we could flush dozens on grouse in a few hours of hunting there were eleven Game Commission employees and retirees that spent two full days, nearly daylight to dark, driving deer last week as we tried to harvest a few deer. There was fresh snow on the ground both days. During those two days between us all we only flushed one grouse and only saw a very few sets of grouse tracks. That is very disheartening for areas where I used to flush at least a couple grouse every time I was in it.

I think the wildlife professionals in Ohio are simply acting in a professional manner toward doing what the evidence suggests is the wisest direction for the species, much the same as the Pennsylvania professionals have and will continue to do.

Dick Bodenhorn
While more and better habitat will definitely result in better grouse populations, I'll agree that there is something besides habitat that is causing the overall decline of grouse in the Appalachain region. I won't agree that Ohio's proposal to reduce the bag limit to 1 bird and to cut 4 weeks off the season will result in an increased state wide population.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 07:27 PM

Does decline in crab apples plan any role in the grouse population? In the banner days I remember lots of grouse around those areas.....

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-18-2020, 09:53 PM
The Man

Plenty of hawthorn and crabs in many places I hunt grouse; go to NY and they are all over the place. If you are losing them in your are, they have either grown too old or are being shaded out.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page