Hare hunting isn't about a harvest - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 31Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-28-2019, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Hare hunting isn't about a harvest

Headed to Hare country this morning at 4:45 am .
Lots of guys & beagles out ; but everyone seemed to be cordial and try not to run close together.
The first 2 hours were a bark here and there ; and a short but slow run for maybe 50 yds....then silence 😕
We moved to another spot and found lots of Hare sign .
As we walked in to nearly 700 yds from the road; my 12 yr old male opens up.
The other 4 dogs help out and slowly track the Hare for close to an hour.
It loops out and back several times slowly but not a glimpse of the white ghost 🐇
It lined out again to 300 + yds and then a check .
They picked up the track again; but this time at a much faster pace.
I and one other from our party decided to close in and see if we could get a shot off.
The vegetation was super thick.
Laurel, tamarack, ferns, weeds, etc...and almost impenetrable some places.
We finally get in front of the dogs and find out they've harked in to 3 other beagles running another Hare ; but much faster and steadier.
After meeting the owner ( I know this guy! ) ; we let our dogs down .
They continue to just hammer the Hare at times with few checks.
One guy misses twice ; then later the other hunter connects.
His first Hare ever.
He's got a huge grin when we catch up to him.
I don't know his name ; but what a great chase and I'm so glad I didn't pull the trigger on the Hare.20191228_134323_1577587994366.jpg
My one slower beagle logged 14 miles today.
Thankful for garmin tracking collars.
The dogs were outta hearing after 300 yds in that thick stuff.
What a beautiful day outdoors 🌲🐾20191228_134323_1577587994366.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191228_134332_1577587899828.jpg (1.46 MB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20191228_113643_1577588055821.jpg (1.74 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20191228_170000_1577588195140.jpg (674.2 KB, 21 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:13 AM
The Man

I didn't even carry a gun Friday, I was just along for the fun, exercise and to hear the hounds sound off. We only had 1 chase for the day and that was in the afternoon. We jumped in and then put the dogs in it. It was no slow chase; less than 10 minutes, it was out to 400 yards and back again to be missed twice. Out to 200 yards and back to be missed again. Finally took the dogs back out to 400 yards and gave them the slip. First time out for hare for the beaglers I was with, but they are ready to go again, so am I, without a gun again.

Plenty of scouting and good habitat makes for a great hunt.

Jeff
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 05:00 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I agree but it is a nice bonus. I was supposed to take a father and son yesterday but that fell through. And then I asked a coworker who deer hunts the area where I hare hunt but never knew snowshoes were there. However, his wife had other plans.

So my father and I went and enjoyed a great morning. We each had firsts for PA harvests. Mine was with my .410 Contender and my fathers was his first with the hounds actually chasing. The past 2 years he was trigger happy and shot one on the jump by the dogs and another he bounced out while working the edge of a swamp. So I was glad he showed some restraint this year when the dogs started wimpering and I hear him yell “there it is, should I shoot it?” I let him know I would like the dogs to run it and he let it go.

It was a great morning and I have one more gun in the cabinet, a savage .22/.410, I would like to get a Pa hare with before I start showing some restraint during the season.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 05:57 PM
The Man

Lets see something... there ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191228_134323_1577587994366.jpg (584.6 KB, 29 views)
blackpowder likes this.
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-30-2019, 10:49 AM

Nice!

Never Misses
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-31-2019, 08:02 PM
Syd
Regular Visitor

another one dies in the training grounds!
Rabbit Runner likes this.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:15 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

There are no training grounds. Except beagle clubs. You'll never kill all the hare or even reduce their numbers significantly. And..there are less hunters with beagles out and about in the last 5 years. I see no young hunters out with their own beagles . I do see the vegetation is much thicker in some spots.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 12:09 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukethebeagle View Post
There are no training grounds. Except beagle clubs. You'll never kill all the hare or even reduce their numbers significantly. And..there are less hunters with beagles out and about in the last 5 years. I see no young hunters out with their own beagles . I do see the vegetation is much thicker in some spots.
Yes, I was surprised at the absence of hunters where we were. In two days of hunting we didn't see any other hunters. Only saw two guys checking gas wells. I thought we would at least see someone hunting with muzzleloader.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 02:30 PM
Syd
Regular Visitor

Quote:
You’re wrong about reducing or eliminating the hare population in an area. The population is at all time lows in the eastern part of the state. The hare are in very specific isolated areas. It wouldn’t be hard for the right guys with the right pack of hounds to eliminate them. In my opinion the PGC should close down the season.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
Quote:
You’re wrong about reducing or eliminating the hare population in an area. The population is at all time lows in the eastern part of the state. The hare are in very specific isolated areas. It wouldn’t be hard for the right guys with the right pack of hounds to eliminate them. In my opinion the PGC should close down the season.
I can see both points of view. I’m not an expert in the slightest. But I think after a certain point of success people need to show some restraint, which is something you, Syd, do. And I respect that. But if people didn’t show restraint I agree, human predators would drastically impact the population. I also respect Duke for being extremely persistent. I don’t know the magic number but I do know I switched to a contender when hunting them. And I think my magic number may be 1 for me next year.
Rabbit Runner likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in