Calamity dampens bird hunt as flooding claims up t - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Calamity dampens bird hunt as flooding claims up t

Quote:
Calamity dampens bird hunt as flooding claims up to 40,000 pheasants

By RON TUSSEL
For the Pocono Record
September 24, 2011

As many 40,000 pheasants raised for the upcoming hunting season died or escaped from game farms during the recent storms.

Flooding from Hurricane Irene and Tropical Storm Lee damaged two game farms in Lycoming County operated Pennsylvania Game Commission.

"We are beginning the assessment process, but it appears that 30,000 to 40,000 pheasants that had been raised and were ready for release for this fall's hunting have perished or escaped," said Bob Boyd, game commission Bureau of Wildlife Management assistant director, who oversees operations of the agency's four game farms.

"We are doing all that we can to recapture escaped birds still in the area, but losses may total up to 40 percent of the total pheasant production planned for this year, and this has compelled us to re-evaluate fall pheasant stocking plans."

Not only were birds lost, but both farms sustained major damage to holding fields and buildings, which may jeopardize plans to double production levels next year.

Because it is so late in the production season, the agency will be unable to raise more pheasants or to purchase pheasants from private propagators to replace these losses. The result will be felt by hunters hitting the fields later this fall in search of pheasants.

Bigger picture
"It is a shame about those pheasants," said Cory Haab, a small game enthusiast from Mountainhome. "We look forward to taking the dogs out every fall to hunt for pheasants. The only pheasants we have are the ones stocked by the Game Commission, so we might have to go to a preserve or find something else to hunt."

While losing pheasants is tragic, some are looking at the bigger picture.

"Of course no one likes to hear about a loss such as this, because it will affect thousands of hunters this fall, and maybe even our youth pheasant hunt that our club holds every year," said Craig Fischer of Newfoundland.

"On the other hand, there are still thousands of people across Pennsylvania that are out of a home or that are suffering major losses from these floods, so things could always be worse."

When purchased from a private farm for stocking purposes, a hunter might shell out upwards of $17 per pheasant. With loss numbers such as these, the agency and the stocking program could be set back more than $500,000.

"As for dollar figure, we still are assessing that," said Game Commission spokesman Jerry Feaser. "As for stocking numbers, the disruption will delay the announcement of how many pheasants will be stocked in each county. So, once we get a handle on those numbers, we will be issuing the fall stocking news release with the figures on how many birds will be stocked."

Feaser said the commission will not eliminate stockings in counties normally served by the two game farms that were hurt, but said the reduction will be spread throughout the entire state.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2011, 11:21 PM
Banned

Re: Calamity dampens bird hunt as flooding claims up t

Sounds like an easy way to blame cutbacks on the hurricane to me...I don't believe this article for one second.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 01:46 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Smith
Sounds like an easy way to blame cutbacks on the hurricane to me...I don't believe this article for one second.
This info is on the level. The area around Loyalsock creek hit hard and fast during the flood. This disaster has not changed the plan to go to 200,000 birds next year. If they were looking for an excuse, this would have been it.

"The wildlife and it's habitat cannot speak for itself. So we must and we will." Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 11:16 AM
Sage

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Smith
Good grief. Take drive up 87, you'll see two things. . . washed out, un-passable roads and pheasants running amuck. Loyalsock Creek from Warrensville to Montoursville got hammered. Neighborhoods that were high in dry in '72 took several feet of water. I'm surprised more birds weren't killed.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyco Setter
I'm surprised more birds weren't killed.
Or people for that matter....

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 PM

I didn't realize they raised people on that farm.

If guns cause crime, mine must be broken.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:09 PM

Sounds like pheasant hunting should be good up in that area this year You would think that 30-40k released birds would be able to provide a self sustainable population for a while. The PGC should sieze this opportunity to do a study.

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyco Setter
I didn't realize they raised people on that farm.
sorry...my bad, thought it said peasant farm.

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

where were these farms. guess if they arent gonna be able to stock i gotta make the hike there to try to shoot some birds.

Pro-squeezing pro staffer

wannabe fox trapper

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page